Fujifilm confirms mirrorless CSC for 2012

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Oct 11, 2011.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    from Amateur Photographer (UK) magazine:

    "Fujifilm will launch a compact system camera in the UK in the 'first
    half of 2012' as part of its premium-level X-series, rejecting the
    Micro Four Thirds format.

    The mirrorless camera will be aimed at the higher-end user seeking an
    'out-and-out performance product', AP understands.

    Fuji's fixed-lens X100, launched earlier this year, carries an
    APS-C-sized imaging sensor measuring 23.6x15.8mm.

    The news follows the unveiling of an X-series 'roadmap' by Fujifilm
    president Shigetaka Komori during a press conference in Tokyo, Japan
    earlier this week.

    Fuji remains tight-lipped on specs, a launch date and pricing."

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/6chdd7j
    or:
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...stem_camera_UK_launch_update_news_309901.html

    Canon next?

    Bruce, Oct 11, 2011

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    My guess is that it will be slightly less exciting than that. It will
    be like an X100 but with interchangeable lenses and a Sony 16 MP APS-C
    sensor as in the NEX-7, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5.

    I doubt that Sony will want to sell their 24 MP sensor to anyone else
    but Nikon just yet.

    Bruce, Oct 11, 2011

  3. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    But does this mean they are perhaps going beyond 35mm size? Also,
    have they divested themselves completely of Nikon's technology, their
    mounting system, etc?

    Dpreview:

    Meanwhile, company president and CEO Shigetaka Komori said it will
    create a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera built around a larger
    sensor with ‘resolution and low noise [that] will surpass the 35mm
    full size sensor.’

    RichA, Oct 11, 2011
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I think something has been lost in translation. I was at Fujifilm UK
    this afternoon to discuss some equipment, and had a quick word with
    one of the sales team: There had been several phone calls about
    Komoris' statement, and what Komori said had been taken out of
    context.

    The context was: Komori was explaining that Fujifilm had rejected
    joining Micro Four Thirds and that they had decided to use "a larger
    sensor". That means *larger than Four Thirds*.

    Komori went on to say that the sensor's resolution and performance
    would surpass those of some 35mm full frame sensors.

    So the sensor will be larger than Four Thirds and will outresolve and
    outperform some full frame sensors. But there is no intention to make
    a sensor that is larger than 35mm full frame, so don't get excited!

    My guess is that the sensor will be APS-C. Fujifilm UK could not
    confirm that, but they seemed quite keen for me to know that they were
    not denying it either. The claims of greater resolution and
    performance suggests a Fujifilm-designed sensor, possibly EXR or some
    other iteration from the SR Pro sensor, giving a much needed fillip to
    dynamic range.

    This is an exciting time for Fujifilm. The X100 continues to break
    sales records and there were suggestions today that it has sold almost
    10 times faster than expected, with production being ramped up several
    times to meet demand. The success of the X100 is what made Fujifilm
    decide to go ahead with a high quality mirrorless CSC.

    Among CSCs, the Sony NEX-7 will still be the one to beat, but I expect
    the Fujifilm CSC to be distinctly different. My guess is that it will
    be something approximating to a digital version of the Contax G2 film
    camera, with a similar position in the market. The X100 body is made
    by the same subcontractor that made the Contax G1/G2, the Konica Hexar
    AF and RF and the Hasselblad XPan.

    Bruce, Oct 11, 2011
  5. Bruce

    PeterN Guest

    Amazing. You know the specs, and performance. Tell us: as the Oracle of
    Delphi, what else do you predict?

    PeterN, Oct 12, 2011
  6. Bruce

    John Turco Guest

    Rich wrote:

    Will it be delicious and have a cherry on top, as with Fuji's pseudo range
    finder digicams?

    John Turco, Oct 27, 2011