Fuji X-Pro 1 omits anti-aliasing filter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 9, 2012.

  1. An interesting detail I didn't see anybody mention was that Fuji says
    they're using a clever and quite different color filter overlay (not the
    classic Bayer RGBG) and that it virtually eliminated moire even without
    an AA filter. That could give them a kick up in real resolution!

    I think this is from the Fuji press release; I grabbed it off
    dpreview.com:

    The new colour filter array paves the way for an ideal sensor that
    does not need an optical low-pass filter. While the optical low-pass
    filter is indispensable for the reduction of moiré and false colour
    generated by conventional sensors, it also degrades
    resolution. FUJIFILM has developed a new colour filter array that is
    inspired by the random arrangement of fine film grain, removing the
    need for an optical low-pass filter to solve moirend false colour
    issues. In the array, RGB pixels are arranged in 6x6 pixel sets with
    high aperiodicity. Increasing the degree of randomness eliminates
    the fundamental cause of moire and false colours . a problem that
    occurs in conventional arrays when shooting stripes and other
    repeating patterns. The presence of an R, G and B pixel in every
    vertical and horizontal pixel series minimizes the generation of
    false colours and delivers higher colour reproduction.

    In other news, a friend actually got real moire on clothing in a studio
    shot done with a Canon 5DII (which has an AA) just last week. It's on
    his blog at
    <http://olegvolk.net/blog/2012/01/03/an-actual-moire-pattern/>.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 9, 2012

  2. David Dyer-Bennet

    RichA Guest

    I loved the S5's ability to handle contrasts with its big and little
    pixel sensor mix, but the resolution of the sensor was still only 6mp,
    and interpolation produced oddball artifacts at the pixel level.

    I'd like to see a diagram of this one's sensor.

    RichA, Jan 10, 2012

  3. David Dyer-Bennet

    Bruce Guest

    It was mentioned. On January 6, in the thread "FujiFilm X Pro1
    mirrorless CSC! EVIL!", I posted a link to details of the camera.

    Rich Anderson remarked:

    I responded with:

    Bruce, Jan 10, 2012
  4. It seems to be the absence of a regular pattern which avoids Moire
    The pattern /is/ regular, I understand, just not the standard Bayer
    pattern. See:

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fuji_x_pro1_launch.shtml
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/MR24/array.jpg

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 10, 2012
  5. So you did. Thanks.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 10, 2012
  6. Chris Malcolm, Jan 12, 2012
  7. The pattern /is/ regular, I understand, just not the standard Bayer
    Yes, and that's true even of today's AA filters, as they vary in strength,
    and the lens quality varies. Be interesting to see some fair comparisons.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 12, 2012
  8. David Dyer-Bennet

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Having read more than a few press releases (and marketing spiel) I
    recognize how they can imply something while actually saying something
    different. Like all companies Fuji employs people to spin the facts.

    For example:

    Notice how they say that their sensor "solves" the problem of false
    COLOR moire. It doesn't say that moire goes away, only that false
    colors aren't an issue (a claim that they actually contradict later
    in the press release).

    And yes, that is most assuredly intentional wording. You cannot
    eliminate moire without a low-pass filter. It's not possible.
    But the sensor grid is not random at all. It's a rigid square matrix.
    The filter layout is an interesting idea and I'd really like to see
    how it tests.
    "Minimizes", not eliminates.
    "Higher colour reproduction" is a meaningless phrase that doesn't
    actually say anything. If they'd said something about resolution
    it would be meaningful.

    Ray Fischer, Jan 13, 2012
  9. While they're probably trying to avoid it, I just figure that ad copy
    routinly lies. Makes things simpler, and it's easy to keep in mind.
    And yet film doesn't have that problem. They even refer to the reason
    for that in the press release.
    Yes, so the reference to the random layout of film grains is clearly
    intended to deceive. And equally clearly has no chance of succeeding at
    deceiving; so it just gives people like us something to pick on.
    Yes. Still, the question is, is this significantly better overall?
    Trading off perceived sharpness against frequency and severity of moire
    problems. It'll be different for each photographer since we shoot
    different things differnetly.

    It might well be significantly better for most people.
    I believe they meant more accurate color reproduction.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 13, 2012
  10. David Dyer-Bennet

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Because film doesn't have sensors in a regular grid.
    They mislead, of coruse.
    Don't underestimate gullibility.
    It'd be insteresting to see. I find color moire to be an uncommon
    problem.
    I believe that they meant to deceive.

    Ray Fischer, Jan 15, 2012