Fuji S1 pricing vs value question: $500 Nikon SLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by siralbabin, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. siralbabin

    siralbabin Guest

    Hello,
    I've been looking at used lenses and camera bodys at local shops and
    have seen a few interesting items which I'd like to supplement my
    current Nikon 35mm equipment with.
    One dealer has a Fuji S1 SLR with asst software, AC adaptor, manuals,
    etc in very nice condition. Asking price is around $500 which seems a
    bit pricey after looking on Ebay. The advantage of shopping locally is
    I can actually see what I'm paying for and the shopkeeper is very
    enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the camera and the Fuji film-like
    color characteristics it renders.
    This body is based on the older Nikon N60 so has some limitations which
    could certainly be worked around.
    I understand that the newer Fuji S2 was/is plagued with CCD and other
    problems but have read little negative (except complaints about
    multiple battery system, cheap N60 body build and minimum 320 ISO
    speed) commentary.
    I can't really afford a modern Nikon 50 or 70 D or a possible S1
    doorstop now but want a Nikon-mount D-SLR now. Apparently this S1 is
    only a few years old and seems to work very well.
    Please, any constructive help, pro and con is welcome.
    I'd like to finalize a deal on this body soon but could use a push
    either way.
    Thanks,
    Al

    siralbabin, Nov 3, 2005

  2. siralbabin

    photo35744 Guest

    If you can buy the Fuji S1 for $500.00 then do so. Mine cost almost
    $2,000.00 when I brought it new about 3 years ago.

    photo35744, Nov 3, 2005

  3. siralbabin

    [BnH] Guest

    <-- if the guy is trying to sell you the S1 for $500 [ I assume in USD ? ]
    wait a while and just get the D50.
    S1 Pro at that price is prone for headache later, esp they can't use G lens
    or was it AF-S lens ... can't remember.

    [BnH], Nov 3, 2005
  4. siralbabin

    Albert Ma Guest

    the S1 has beautiful colors. and it's a simple camera...with quite a bundle
    of limitations, and it's quite noisy, can't interface with many newer
    flashes completely--although it works with older flashes like SB-20, SB-24
    for full TTL. works with G lenses, but does not AF with AF-S lenses,
    although it meters with them.

    but it's simple, and you figure it out pretty much without too many
    headaches. And it's not necessary to recharge batteries; you can carry a
    bunch of these AA and CR123...

    But the color says it all. see this:

    http://home.comcast.net/~ctalbertma/DSCF3199.JPG

    no post processing at all...image just out of the S1.

    Albert Ma, Nov 3, 2005