    there? Recently, I had a chance to handle to S5000. I really liked it and
    it might be my next cam purchase. Anyway, just trying to find out how well
    this mode works.

    Willie C, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Willie C

    Flux Guest

    The sensor is made to give best results with the 6 MP mode, ie, if you only
    record at 3 MP you'll be losing some information due to rescaling.

    If you want the best possible quality, you should use the 6 MP mode. Just
    don't look at the images at 100% on the monitor. ;)

    Flux

    Flux, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Willie C

    someone Guest

    I only use 6mp fine. when I first got my s602z, I used the 3mp mode, but
    when I examined the shots in elements later, there were quite horrid
    artifacts. so the only useable choices are 6mp fine and 6mp tif (which is a
    pain to use as it takes forever to save).

    someone, Aug 31, 2003
  4. The sensor is a 3MP sensor with a unique pickup pattern - read the technical
    specifications. Its native
    resolution is 3MP. So, there is no downsizing to get to 3MP; there is
    interpolation to
    get above 3MP.

    Steve Michelson, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Willie C

    Roo Guest

    This is not true at all. The CCD sensor on a fuji is unique in that
    the alignment of the assymetrical cells is rotated and as such they
    are taller than they are wide. Apparently your eye is more sensitive
    to detail in the vertical rather than the horizontal axis (whether you
    believe this or not is up to you but test do show that more detail is
    apaprent than in a 3mp camera). In this way the fuji can squeeze some
    extra apparent detail from its sensor. It is designed to shot 6mp
    images. If you shoot 3mp images the camera actually takes the native
    6mp shot and then downsizes it in camera and produces worse results
    than if you took the 6mp shot and downsized it yourself in PS.

    It definately produces better shots using its native 6mp mode than in
    3mp mode, its not simply interpolation but a rather clever optical
    illusion. They would never have got away with a simple interpolation!

    Rolf

    Roo, Dec 4, 2003