    any comments on the S3000 and suggestions for other cameras I should be
    looking at. The S3000 is already pushing the limit of what I have to spend.
    Thanks.

    griz, Dec 5, 2003

  2. griz

    Toni & Ed Guest

    I too have the same background and after looking at many options I chose the
    S3000. I looked at the Oly 740 & 750, Fuji 5000, Minolta Z1 & Kodak 6490.
    All have a high 10X zoom but all are more expensive than the S3000. What
    sold me on the S3000 was Consumer Reports rating the Fuji tops in its class
    during two separate reports. All the other cameras have flaws and cost more.
    Hey the S3000 is not perfect either but for approx $250 the winner is Fuji
    3000.

    Toni & Ed, Dec 5, 2003

  3. griz

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    I found the Minolta Z1 was identical in price to the S3000 in the UK,
    and it does have manual over-rides for eveything. The only build quality
    issue I have is with the rattly lens, but nobody seems to have an issue
    with that as yet.

    Andy Hewitt, Dec 5, 2003
  4. griz

    Toni & Ed Guest

    In this part of the US the Z1 sells for about $400. Our local Target had the
    S3000 for $300 ($269 at Costco-no gift card) & Target gave you a $50 gift
    certificate (buys a larger xd card). I looked seriously at the Z1 but it's
    poor build quality(especially the battery compartment cover) and mediocre
    reviews turned me off. Actually the 750 would have been my first choice
    except that it is almost $250 more than the S3000. I called Fuji to find out
    what was new in the S3000 vs. last years S3800. They said that a Video out &
    an ISO increase to 200 with the flash has been added this year but they
    removed the microphone from movie mode. The sales rep added that the S3000
    was also reduced $50 in list price to make it more competitive for Christmas
    shopping. The special offered by Target made the Fuji the best value and
    clinched the deal. Good Luck!

    Toni & Ed, Dec 6, 2003
  5. griz

    griz Guest

    I really appreciate all of the responses. Sounds like I've made a good
    choice for my needs. I'll be watching if others want to comment. BTW this
    is a great ng, I've been reading for about a week now and I'll be checking
    in regularly.

    Cheers

    --
    griz

    griz, Dec 6, 2003
  6. griz

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Hmmm.

    Strange, the Z1 and the S3000 are identical prices over in the UK.
    Likewise though the 750 was my first choice, but I just didn't have the
    budget. I have always liked Olympus stuff, but the flap over the lens
    just doesn't appeal to me, my old C960 was great, but that also felt
    rather flimsy (it's price was the same as the Z1), and indeed has failed
    just short of three years old.

    I don't agree with the build quality though, the Z1 seems fine to me,
    you do need to put it all into context though, and with all cameras
    there are going to be compromises if you try and stick to a budget.

    I also looked at the S5000 which isn't all that much more over here, but
    the reviews showed the image quality was dissapointing - which to me is
    the prime feature for any camera.

    Certainly the reviews I've read don't match yours, there are a couple of
    negatives, but most were very high ratings. The quality of the plastic
    bits aren't necessarily an indication of what's inside. Minolta are
    historically a very good camera manufacturer.

    Andy Hewitt, Dec 6, 2003