FUBAR installed program... Fix registry or what?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tony, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    A while back, I installed a flight sim on my machine under Win98 (Dual
    boot w/WinXP). I later went back to the install program so that I
    could add some more features. Halfway through the new feature install
    process, I noticed that I had accidentally chose an incorrect option.
    I canceled the install process, and then tried to start it again. I
    get this message that says the program is allready in the process of
    being installed. I thought that if I uninstalled the program, then
    reinstalled it, that would help. BUt when I try to do that, I get the
    same message. I'm affraid to just delete it, because I doubt that I
    will be able to get it back on my hard drive again short of
    re-installing win98, which I cannot do because of the way my
    partitions are set up. Anyway, I suspect that during the install
    process, the program makes an entry in the registry telling itself
    that the installation is in proccess so that it won't install while
    installing or something(!?). I tried searching the registry with
    REGEDIT, but I could not find the culpret entry. Does anybody who
    knows how these install programs work have any idea how to fix this? I
    don't believe that it was anything like InstallSheild or WiseInstall
    or anything like that. I think it was an Electronic Arts propriatary
    installer. THe program in question is "Jane's USAF". If anyone knows
    of an easy fix, or better yet, a way to make this program work with
    WinXP Professional Corporate edition, please let me know. Thanks.

    To reply by email, use "", not ""

    Thanks again.

    Tony, Nov 6, 2003

  2. You probably need to contact the game's manufacturer, i.e. Electronic
    Arts if that's who did it. There's no such thing as a 'generic'
    installation procedure that you can count on all installers to use-each
    one would be different. The closest to that would be a common 3rd-party
    installer such as InstallShield and you've already said that it doesn't
    use that.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 6, 2003