FTTP question

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Graham J, Nov 27, 2014.

  1. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    A building which used to be rented out to a large multi-national company
    has what appears to be a live fibre connection.

    There is some termination equipment (a white box, rather larger than a
    Vigor router) which has power and some lights indicating to me that the
    fibre connection is live.

    We think the fibre runs to the local (village) exchange - the previous
    tenant had the road dug up specially! We imagine that the village
    exchange already has fibre to the nearby town. FTTC in the village is
    provisionally planned for next year.

    The owner of the building is running his business there newo, which is
    expanding beyond the capabilities of the ADSL he uses at present. So he
    wants to use the existing fibre for his internet connection. He knows
    the rental may well be ten times what he pays for ADSL, and he is
    prepared for that, particularly if it gets him better reliability!

    So how does he go about getting the existing fibre connected to the
    internet?

    Graham J, Nov 27, 2014

  2. Graham J

    Woody Guest

    There should be some sort of identification on the box -
    often two or three letters and 4-6 numbers - which is its
    distribution frame number. That could be a starting point to
    talk to BT Business?

    Woody, Nov 27, 2014

  3. Graham J

    David Guest

    Is this a bit naughty so maybe shouldn't do it but what happens if he
    plugs in does it work?
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 27, 2014
  4. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    The device has some strange connector: I think a 25-way D-type, so
    probably a V24 or similar connection intended for a Cisco router. I
    don't have one to hand to try.

    Graham J, Nov 27, 2014
  5. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    One rectangular BT box about 8-inches by 6-inches says: "YQOFD on 4591"

    Out of this comes 2 orange fibres, to the line termination box.

    Going in, there is a white stiff cable, probably oval cross section.

    A couple of yards away there is a thin BT box about 1-inch square
    cross-section and 6-inches long. In one end goes the white stiff cable,
    in the other a black armoured cable going into a duct in the concrete
    floor. This box is marked "T8PY8 to YQOFD on 4591".

    I'm looking at photos wthout any scale reference, so the measurements
    may be a bit off.

    Graham J, Nov 27, 2014
  6. contact and ISP and get them to quote and say you have fibre installed
    already.

    In general though its changed a bit, yuou end up with a fibre
    termination box probably supplied by BT that takes G703 or similar
    presentation which you push into a decent router like a cisco.

    Maybe these days you can get Ethernet and run PPPoE - I dunno. In my day
    it was G703 tho.

    The Natural Philosopher, Nov 27, 2014
  7. the box you will replace,, but those fibres are the bit you need.

    contact a bix level ISP. Idnet AAA etc etc.

    The Natural Philosopher, Nov 27, 2014
  8. Graham J

    7 Guest

    Well its a bit of a *fscking* question if you are talking about Bhhtteee.

    All Bhtee policies regarding fiber to the premises is dreamed up
    in pubs by adding an extra 00 to the quoted costs while the rest
    of the world moves on.

    Most serious industrialised countries and a whole of smaller
    countries have uncontended 100Mbits fiber internet for
    about £50 and faster.

    The best countries have deregulated the last mile and have
    numerous companies that provision the last mile of fiber
    and very cost competitive.

    The last mile needs to be deregulated to allow at least
    20 competitors per area to allow UK to catch up
    with the rest of the world. Then may be meaninful answers
    can be provided.

    Otherwise the rule of thumb to use in UK fiber commissioning is
    to think of a big number, add 00 to the end of it,
    ring Bhtteee, and hope that you get some fiber
    instead of getting totally buggered.

    There aren't any online crib sheets or cost
    calculators because Bhttee are stuuuuooopid people
    who don't know what click and order meanz (TM).

    The fscking trolls running Bhttee take down whole
    of UK with their management trolls and ideas
    of customer service.

    Anway, Good Luck! ;)

    7, Nov 29, 2014
  9. Graham J

    Woody Guest

    Somewhat agree.

    We have friends in Germany who have had FTTP for about six
    years now and get their phone, TV, and broadband for about
    the same as I am paying for basic VM B/B and FTA TV!

    Gawd help us if BT manage to buy one of the cellular SPs!

    Woody, Nov 29, 2014
  10. Graham J

    Graham. Guest

    That's two of us agreeing with "7" albeit with reservations.

    They say even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

    Graham., Nov 29, 2014
  11. Graham J

    grinch Guest

    It will get him an SLA of about 4 hours and not best efforts ,there is
    no SLA for dsl of any sort but BT will try to respond with 20 "WORKING"
    hours but no guarantee.

    7's ill informed drivel removed for clarity

    Probably because there has been state funding towards the
    infrastructure,that will never happen in a country with a 20% tax rate

    What the OP is describing is a Leased Line tail. The NTE will probably
    be an ADVA 150, which is a protocol converter to get an Ethernet
    connection over distances beyond the 100 or so meters of raw Ethernet.

    It is a fibre to a premises ,but just not the dsl FTTP type the adva's
    are too expensive they cost around £500/700 each and you need 2 and then
    you need an proper Ethernet router .

    If the customer wants internet access ring an ISP and get a leased line
    quote ,but be sure to mention that there is already a circuit installed
    to the local BT POP you should be able to reuse it.

    grinch, Nov 30, 2014
  12. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    It has a BT logo moulded into it, and a laser warning sticker on it.

    Graham J, Nov 30, 2014
  13. Graham J

    Stephen Guest

    Please note lots of other telcos use Adva NTEs as well - but only BT
    have lots of blown fibre.

    Even if it is a bit of physical BT kit, it may be rented by a
    different service provider who ordered it as access to their ISP, MPLS
    etc service from BT Openreach or BT Wholesale.

    BT are going thru a "refresh" of Ethernet access tail circuits - LES /
    WES / EES older flavours have all been withdrawn and replaced with
    "EAD". The old types get turned off completely in 2017.

    Whatever type of service is in place, the spare blown fibre tubes can
    be used for new blown fibre (I haven't come across BT remove old kit
    and re-use existing fibres, but that is probably because we are always
    installing new tails when I get involved).

    Note blown fibre new installs depend on a spare "good tube" to push
    the new fibres into - we have had a fair few issues with runs where
    the eixsting fibres are fine, but the fix for new involves digging in
    new bits of duct.
    1 other note is the install charges are standardised (or more
    strictly, are estimated by a bunch of automated tools but around a
    pricing schedule) - there isn't a "install on available spare fibre"
    type separate explicit discount.

    The main advantages to a site with existing fibre are
    - faster install
    - possible less / easier arguments with the landlord about wayleaves
    - less risk of the dreaded "excess construction charges" being added
    to the install fee.

    Good luck
    Stephen Hope
    Replace xyz with ntl to reply

    Stephen, Nov 30, 2014
  14. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Stephen wrote:

    [snip]
    Does this mean that all suppliers will quote near enough the same price?
    Or will there be some discretion as to a discount for using the
    available fibre?

    Graham J, Nov 30, 2014
  15. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Graham J wrote:

    [snip]
    Adding to my earlier post:

    There is also a bigger white box marked: "NTE 2D"
    It looks like the one in the photo at:

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-NTE2D-Digital-Wideband-System-with-Power-Supply-/231025009479

    Graham J, Dec 1, 2014
  16. Graham J

    Andy Burns Guest

    so it's for an 8Mbps Megastream, which can be split for up to four 2Mbps
    circuits, each of which could either feed an ISDN/30 or several 128kbps
    or 256kbps Kilostream circuits ... in short it's out of the ark.

    If you're lucky they would be able to re-use the fibres for something
    like a 100Mbps fibre, but don't bank on it saving you a lot getting a
    new circuit up and running - though as someone else already mentioned,
    it ought to mean they can't sting you "excess construction charges" for
    digging stuff up.

    Andy Burns, Dec 1, 2014