FS: Atari / Commodore computers...make an offer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dangermouse, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Dangermouse

    Dangermouse Guest

    Hello all

    I have forsale the following...if interested, feel free to make an offer.
    The items are on Auckland's North Shore.

    1x Atari Falcon030 (yes, the REALLY rare model and the last in line for the
    Atari ST series). 4MB RAM. Internal hard drive. Some original manuals

    1x Boxed Commodore VIC-20 - tons of cartridges, boxed, datasette,
    Introduction To Basic software....the works !!!

    1x Boxed Commodore 64 Value Pack (includes C64, power supply, 1541 disk
    drive, a few cartridges, original warranty card, boxed joystick)

    1x Atari 7800 (aka Prosystem) with 13 original Atari 7800 (NOT 2600) carts,
    power supply, two Atari joypads

    1x Atari 2600 6-switch Woody with a couple of joysticks, pair of paddle
    controllers and over 50 carts

    1x Atari 1040STFM (inc. mouse and a pack of games)

    1x Boxed Atari 520ST (all manuals, original cables)

    So...if anyone is interested, feel free to make an offer. Please give
    sensible, GENUINE offers only....no time wasters please. And no, I aren't
    giving the Falcon030 away....if you know what it is, you know what it's
    worth.

    Thanks for reading and have a great weekend

    DM

    Dangermouse, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Dangermouse

    Dangermouse Guest

    Oops...remember to remove the NOSPAM if replying....and, contrary to the
    email address, this is in Auckland, not Australia (I just moved here)

    Dangermouse, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Dangermouse

    Dumdedo Guest

    Yes great for the Land Fill, they not worth a Penney, just get over it..

    Dumdedo, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Dangermouse

    Io Guest

    A couple of those items are probably worth more than the computer you wrote that
    on

    Io, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Dangermouse

    XPD Guest

    Hell no, a collector would love them and would probably pay a bit for them
    too... just because you use your old systems for landfill dosent mean
    everyone else does.

    XPD, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Dangermouse

    Mainlander Guest

    50c the lot

    Mainlander, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Hi there,
    I could just leap out and say you're a dickhead, but I don't really
    need to. I purchased a Falcon030 in 1994 for $3000. Back then it made
    the best 'multimedia' PC look crappy, and there are still some things
    it does better than any x86 PC you care to show me (MIDI timing latency
    is non-existant in the Falcon, unlike even the fastest P4)

    There were less than 100000 built I believe, and because of that and
    also the technical innovations inherent in the original machine I think
    it will become a bit of a collectors item. Give it a few more years and
    it will be worth more than I paid for it, so my advice would be to not
    sell the Falcon...

    Dumdedo YOU get over it...

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 12, 2003

  8. Dream on..

    Robert Mathews, Dec 13, 2003

  9. Na its only worth 10c, can't even multitask the OS was never ever finished,
    Yes I was a Avid Atari user once, but I grew up to the facts in life..

    Robert Mathews, Dec 13, 2003
  10. Dangermouse

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Ebay might be the place for the Falcon?

    Craig Sutton, Dec 13, 2003
  11. Dangermouse

    Dangermouse Guest

    I had thought of that but the hassle of international shipping never really
    appealed to me.

    And for all the wankers bagging my advertisement:

    a) Shut the hell up until you know what you're talking about
    b) If you've got nothing nice to add, don't bother....the newsgroups are
    full of wankers....you don't need to prove that point
    b) I hope you threw away your Falcon030 last week as you could have done
    this:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2769914634&category=51107

    Dangermouse, Dec 13, 2003
  12. Dangermouse

    Dangermouse Guest

    And bugger...I made two b) points before another wanker points that out...
    :)

    Dangermouse, Dec 13, 2003
  13. Hi there,
    I hope no-one would ever be stupid enough to throw one away. They are
    as you've said VERY rare. Not only that, but I still sequence MIDI and
    do some audio sampling on mine because PC hardware can't get close
    unless many $$$$ are spent...

    Its why many of the more noted music studios STILL use old ST's and
    Falcon's...
    I don't see many 1993 vintage x86 PC's selling for that kind of money.
    Come to think of it I'd imagine most 1-2 year old PC's would struggle
    to command that much resale value...

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 13, 2003
  14. Dangermouse

    Lebowski Guest

    ....but can you play a good game of Quake 3 on it? ;-)

    Lebowski, Dec 13, 2003
  15. Dangermouse

    DUser Guest

    Studios keep all sorts of stuff for compatibility, like old STs for Cubase
    and old Fostex 16s, and Fairlights and 1" and 2" 16T machines but they
    don't use them a lot.
    Studios use Logic or Studio Vision or Protools or similar on Macs as a
    rule, and its _really_ stretching things to make this sort of claim about
    Ataris in studio use today. The IBook is their contemporary replacement.
    They were great in their time though thanks to Steinberg software and
    responsible for a lot of great 80s pop and electronica. They can take
    their place alongside the PPG wave, the fairlight CMI, the Linndrum, the
    Simmons kit, the DX7 The Steinberger bass, AMS delays and the Lexicon 224
    as the essential pieces that defined an era of music though. I'll keep my
    1040 thanks Woger, along with my Amigas they have much better karma than
    their contemporaries 386 junk

    DUser, Dec 13, 2003
  16. Dangermouse

    DUser Guest

    It was the midi sockets that changed the way music is composed.
    Both the German companies C Lab who became Emagic and sold Logic to Apple,
    and Steinberg, started with the Atari in 1985
    It was a huge revolution in music.
    Faithless, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy Slim are still Atari users, Cubase has
    huge retro cool.
    80s hits like the pointer sisters Jump and Automatic are classic Steinberg
    Pro-24 Atari ST1040. Queen used them, New Order, Soft Cell, Petshop Boys,
    Madonna.
    Pretty cool for an 8MHz 6800. It could sync to SMTPE and the software was
    streets ahead of everyone elses at the time.

    DUser, Dec 13, 2003
  17. Hi there,
    Not stretching it at all. Protools et al are the defacto for many,
    especially for digital audio, but you still cannot beat a standard
    1040 ST/e (or Falcon) for rock-steady MIDI with no latency issues.

    To get the kind of low latency MIDI that I'm used to with my Falcon
    running Mastertracks Pro, I'd need to run linux sequencing software as
    root user and up the priority...
    Unanimous agreement on the karma thing! But if you search around you'll
    find that many people haven't retired their old ST's just yet!

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 14, 2003
  18. Hi there,
    Of course not. Neither can any other 1993 vintage PC hardware either...

    Newer 060/040 Atari clones exist (albeit few), and a quake port exists
    for those machines...

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 14, 2003
  19. Dangermouse

    DUser Guest

    LOL
    There are a whole host of modern options with rock steady midi and no
    latency problems with the added advantage of recording the audio.

    DUser, Dec 14, 2003
  20. Dangermouse

    AD. Guest

    So you got an Amiga?