Frustration

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by eugene, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. eugene

    eugene Guest

    I have a real dilemma. I had to get my PC reformatted last week. Okay, so it
    now should be like it came out of the factory. The very second I went
    on-line, I was swamped with viruses........67 of them! I took the machine
    back to my supplier who cleaned out the registry without reformatting again
    and he installed a pro version of AVG. I then re-connected everything last
    night and I immediately began to get hit again! At one stage, my browser was
    hijacked and porn sites were added to My Favourites. My screen went all off
    colour and AVg was picking up viruses that it could not delete or
    quarantine! One in particular whick kept popping up was Trojan horse small
    13 exe. and when this warning appeared, I could not even get rid of the
    warning screen. When I tried to close it, it asked, "Do you really want to
    open the infected file". So, my PC is back with my supplier again and he is
    stumped. He insists that I must be doing something that I shouldn't be doing
    but I am not! I have told him that I am using my old system (right now eg)
    and that the settings are all identical to those on the newer PC! Can
    anybody please advise me? This is driving me nuts! I bought the new machine
    a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
    that time. The only difference is that this PC is ME and the new one is XP.
    Please somebody help me out here? I have been posting stuff around this
    current problems for over a week now and either no one can suggest anything
    or no one wants to help.......please.....anybody

    eugene, Nov 23, 2004

  2. eugene

    Joe Nomad Guest

    Just an idea. I wonder if its coming from your ISP.

    Joe Nomad, Nov 23, 2004

  3. With unpatched XP on a fast connection, that is, with a static IP
    address and no firewall, that is about what I would expect (actually,
    worse than expected). I'd probably fresh install Windows again, patch it
    up to date offline or make sure there's a damn good firewall and
    antivirus installed before putting it online and then patch it. But get
    the security in place before exposing it to the internet. And also make
    sure the copy of Windows that is being installed isn't some "hacked"
    version.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 23, 2004
  4. eugene

    SuperStud Guest

    You need an updated and active FIREWALL installed BEFORE you go online. If
    you can get hold of a Service Pack 2 disk (magazines have been giving them
    away recently) or use your old system to download it (hope you have
    broadband - for that option). Service Pack 2 has a much improved firewall
    that is active and protecting your machine by default.

    Anti-virus programs do not perform the same protection from being hi-jacked,
    as FIREWALLS do. I'm suprised your supplier doesn't seem to know the
    difference either. AVG is a good anti-virus program - I use it, but without
    an effective firewall of some description - you are not protected from all
    the shit that's out there on the net.

    <<SS>>

    SuperStud, Nov 23, 2004
  5. eugene

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Your tech is right. Maybe this quote from you will give you clue "I bought
    the new machine
    a few months ago partly because of how badly infected this machine was at
    that time." It is called User Error.

    pcbutts1, Nov 23, 2004
  6. eugene

    Barry Guest

    Do you have SP2? why did you have your computer reformated after having it
    for only 2 month? did your supplier tell you what he cleaned out of your
    registry? do you have a firewall? these are the things people need to know
    before they can help you, personally I think you just need a good firewall
    and antivirus protection, I like ETRUST EZ ARMOR

    Barry, Nov 23, 2004
  7. eugene

    Timberwolf Guest

    Kaditcha Man and pcbutts1 have given you all the advice you need.
    Just to add to it--can you see the lead that plugs into the
    wall?--yes?--unplug it---Get yourself down the local adult education center
    and learn something.

    Timberwolf, Nov 23, 2004
  8. eugene

    joevan Guest

    Nucking futs.
    joevan

    joevan, Nov 23, 2004
  9. eugene

    eugene Guest

    Thanks to anybody who offered advice. I will check all this stuff out to see
    if I can avoid problems in future. To those of you who have nothing better
    to do that offer insults. Go stew yer heads!

    Eugene

    eugene, Nov 24, 2004
  10. eugene

    Spider Guest

    I suggest that you down load and run AdAware, Spybot serach & Destroy, and
    cwshredder, i'd suggest that you might also scan any disks/cds you have,
    particularly ones you have burnt yourself. I'd also suggest you review where
    you browse as you are getting these viruses from somewhere, i'd guess either
    porn or hacking sites. Also you should disable activeX installations from
    IE.

    Spider, Nov 24, 2004