    back is to reboot my entire computer. Does anyone have any
    suggestions?

    Thank you !

    Yvette, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Hello
    I had a similar problem. I went to my ISP & they gave me a new external
    modem. This one you can put in standby while you are not using the Internet.
    It worked fine for me. Instead of re-booting your computer , try unplugging
    the power to your modem , let it sit for 10 minutes , then plug it back in.
    This will tell if it's the modem. You're right , I got tired of rebooting
    every time I wanted to log on to the net or check my mail.
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Yvette

    Yvette Guest

    Ron,

    Thank you for your response. My laptop (which is the problem at the
    moment) runs wireless internet within a network at home. All the
    other computers are not having this problem so I know its not the
    modem. Now however, I am wondering if it is my wireless card.
    Perhaps next time I will try unplugging it and plug it back in after
    being in standby mode.

    Thank you for your suggestion.

    Yvette

    Yvette, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Yvette

    Thor Guest

    This is a very common problem. Try checking your device manager entries for
    the wireless network adapter and make sure there isn't an option in it's
    device properties set to allow windows to power the device down. another
    potential issue is that Mcafee firewall software is known to cause this
    problem on some machines. If you have that software try disabling or
    uninstalling it. Otherwise, if you are using AC power on the laptop most of
    the time, simply disable the standby feature entirely.

    Thor, Oct 19, 2004