Frustrated..............to put it mildly!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by honest joe, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. honest joe

    honest joe Guest

    I am so thoroughly pissed off with OE6! Last week my Inbox emptied itself
    and left me in a real pickle because there was stuff I needed. Then for no
    reason I know, I stopped receiving any mail in OE. I tried everything,
    deleting accounts and setting them up again but nothing worked. Then I went
    on-line to BT/Yahoo help where over a 12 hour period, no less than TWELVE
    people (maybe they only work for an hour) could not help me out. Some help
    area....................absolutely useless the whole lot of them! So, now
    I'm tormenting myself by trying to locate my mail using the BT/Yahoo site.
    What a torture. An example, last night I had 1400 messages (most of them
    duplicated....up to EIGHT times) and 99.9% of them were SPAM. I clicked them
    as SPAM and they were allegedly deleted and the senders blocked. When I went
    to the site this morning, I had 2700 messages including all the rubbish I
    dumped last night! Does anybody have anything positive to say about
    BT/Yahoo? They recently introduced "Authentication Required" for their mail
    services and that is when all my problems started! Can anybody suggest a
    properly run mail service that isn't expensive so that I can stop using this
    useless crap!? If anybody from BT offers help on this group, I have been
    using BT Broadband for coming up to two years now but I won't be for much
    longer if I can get something I can depend on! I run a small home business
    and I absolutely need a working mail service. Between BT and OE, I am slowly
    going round the bend!

    honest joe, Jun 13, 2005

  2. honest joe

    WormWood Guest

    Just a shot in the dark in case the weird incidents you have experienced
    with mail may have changed some of your configurations.

    In OE, Tools / Accounts / Mail / Servers, Highlight BT / Properties /
    Clear the two boxes (at bottom of window) concerning Authentication.
    Also, in Tools / Accounts, clear the box 'Leave Mail On Server.

    WormWood, Jun 13, 2005

  3. honest joe

    honest joe Guest

    I don't have a box that says "Leave Mail On server"

    honest joe, Jun 13, 2005
  4. honest joe

    honest joe Guest

    I tried unticking the "Authentication" box and tried a mail to myself but it
    bounces back as undeliverable because BT/Yahoo requires authentication! I
    dunno why they decided to introduce this because my mail has not worked
    since they did! And to try and get help is outlandish. I refuse to pay for a
    phone help-line because why should I have to, I am already paying to use
    Broadband and surely the onus is on BT to make it work properly!

    honest joe, Jun 13, 2005
  5. honest joe

    Smoker~ Guest

    "Leave Mail On server"

    is under your mail account - Properties/Advanced tab.

    Smoker~, Jun 13, 2005
  6. honest joe

    WormWood Guest

    Sorry. It won't help now, but I meant In OE, Tools / Accounts / Mail /
    Servers, Highlight BT / Properties / ADVANCED TAB.....

    WormWood, Jun 13, 2005
  7. honest joe

    honest joe Guest

    Thank you very much. (that box was unticked by the way so I'm still beat)

    honest joe, Jun 13, 2005
  8. So replace it, like millions of others have. You don't need it.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 13, 2005
  9. honest joe

    Barman Guest

    This ain't anyting to do with BT/Yahoo.....
    You have a corruption within your client/configuration.
    What is with your claim that they require authentification?
    They don't - unless your configuration has been infiltrated
    and instilled doubts in their settings?
    Do you run an uptodate firewall/AV?
    BT/Yahoo have their own software, and it is valid and proven,
    so your claims about the web-based email service are dubious?
    Go through this again in a calmer, coherent fashion:
    Have you checked your pop3/smtp settings in your client?
    Do you run a viable firewall? And Uptodate AV?
    Is it configured for your incoming email in your client?
    Think about this in a clear mood, but are you misreading the
    data detailed in your web-based interface of your email account?
    Have you heard that Michael Jacksons Lawyers are heading for
    New York? - They have been hired by Stevie Wonder to get him
    a driving license! (Now anything is possible in US law?)
    MJ is to release a new CD, the A track is to be a cover of an Elton
    song: "Don't let your son go down on me".
    He is also selling neverland and relocating to Boston.............
    And becoming a Catholic priest?
    One final point, check your configuration, and do a scan with an
    uptodate AV.- McAfee do a free online scan, it will genuinely detail
    any inappropriate settings, but will not fix them - it wants you to
    buy the software!

    Barman, Jun 14, 2005