    help needed and gratefully received!
    Regards
    Antoined

    someone, Sep 20, 2003

  2. someone

    why? Guest

    Forgot the Usenet alias earlier?

    From: "AntoineD"
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: frontpage and password
    Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:27:52 +0100

    Also note, you are using the domain name registered to someone else as
    your spam trap. You may not be getting any spam because you are
    directing it to another server and forcing the crap on them.

    How very considerate of you.

    Registrant:
    Someone GINSBURG (SOMEONE9-DOM)
    PO Box 84228
    San Diego, CA 92138
    US

    Domain Name: SOMEONE.COM

    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    PGinsburg (CO987-ORG)
    PO BOX 84228
    SAN DIEGO, CA 92138-4228
    US
    619-633-0000 fax: 619-633-0000

    Record expires on 03-Nov-2004.
    Record created on 15-Sep-2002.
    Database last updated on 20-Sep-2003 12:15:38 EDT.
    It's possibly easier to answer knowing your ISP, is that where you are
    publishing the pages to?

    The FP method fairly stinks. If you have a server with MS IIS on it,
    it's simply a case of creating account(s) in user manager and setting
    the permissions on the folders. This saves messing about with reg forms,
    when the site is visited the person enters the password/username.
    The root directory on your PC. Then you publish / transfer it to an
    external web server.
    So would xxxx.net be your ISP or your local PC?
    The URL of the admin page tells you either it's your PC (with
    http://127.0.0.1 or http://localhost )

    If it's BY then try this

    1. BY PWP user support group
    blueyonder.discussion.pwp

    2. Read about htaccess for use on the BY server.
    http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/web/

    Me

    why?, Sep 20, 2003

  3. someone

    ant1_d Guest

    sorry for the spam trap thing... removed it.....
    the host is ANhost and the site I have created is called
    grandesfamilles.net (have a temporary "bravenet" passowrd but not very
    safe!)
    On the control panel for ANhost there is a directory protection but I
    dot not know which folder to protect (their help is not very
    helpful!).
    All I want is when somene from my family tyoes in the url, a box
    requets a password and the *entire*site is protected....

    The rood directoy: if D:/ is where I save my web folder (inside a
    folder called "my webs"
    then the root is
    d:/mywebs/grandesfamilles and so the registration form would be:
    then d:/mywebs/grandesfamilles/registrastrion.htm ?
    Then usign "publish to web" I woud tranfer it to
    http://grandefamilles.net and it would then become
    http://grandefamilles.net/registration.htm ?

    or am I all wrong again?

    ant1_d, Sep 20, 2003
  4. someone

    why? Guest

    It's okay to have one, it's recommended in fact. I only thought it was
    funny you posting twice. You only need to make it an invalid address,
    simply avoid using one that belongs to someone else already.

    Try this

    if you have to use someone.

    The .invalid is from
    Reserved Top Level DNS Names
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt
    This one
    http://www.anhosts.com/
    It's a safe bet, not to protect the root directory in case of accidents.

    So maybe you want
    /default.htm
    /family/<then rest of files>

    You then protect the /family directory.
    The package info
    http://www.anhosts.com/control_panel.htm
    Web Protect (htaccess editor)

    Try this then, back to my ISP and a htaccess tutorial
    http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/web/htaccess.shtml
    there will be some differences in the actual directory location, but the
    example still works in that is names a '/secret' directory to protect,
    names the file holding the password.

    www.google.com for other 'htaccess tutorial' finds this
    http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess
    All the d:\ stuff is local files on your PC, when you transfer those
    files to the hosting site, if done carefully this happens

    d:\mywebs\grandesfamilles (is the root directory)
    the default file is called default.htm (for example)

    So d:\mywebs\grandesfamilles\default.htm
    becomes http://grandefamilles.net/

    then d:\mywebs\grandesfamilles\registration.htm
    as you say
    http://grandefamilles.net/registration.htm

    It's safer to leave default.htm a public visible file with a link to the
    registration page. If you want to stop even that then rename the
    registration.htm to default.htm so the 1st page is asking for the
    password.
    <snip>
    Me

    why?, Sep 20, 2003