From single core to dual core

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Yikes!!! Hope your updated prices are better now. I see the 5000+ x2 am2
    for around $325 here.

    John Barnes, Aug 6, 2006

  2. Yeah, me to. But John's rethoric is making sense, some things you have
    already invested so much in that you also cannot afford to update it - the
    Monty Python Logic: "The only thing that is worse than buying new is not
    buying new."

    The steady march of technology is overtaking your perfectly good old
    machine, buying a new one will leave the other sitting doing nothing.
    Updating may not be a whole lot cheaper and you will not get the full
    technological effect, but at least you can have the satisfaction of saving
    some resources, on the other hand buying new and having the full effect
    isn't a whole lot more costly but having the old one sitting there, or
    having to give it away, will be a waste of those resources, something that
    is often hard to forget, sadly, but if you made one bad investment it's
    often better to cut your losses there and hope for better luck next time
    round.

    I'm sitting here with a socket 754, so not much to update there, but the
    machine is in excellent shape and became obsoleted well within it's time,
    and I too am in the market for a 5000+, although 2Gig of RAM will serve me
    well(as far as I can tell), so I can easily see the dilemma. We were in the
    same boat if I had a socket 939 as well. As it is we are each in the same
    kind of boat!

    These are the options - whichever way you turn, your rear end is behind you.
    You loose money every time, anyway.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 6, 2006

  3. Hello ,
    For x64 there is only one HAL. The update that takes place only updates
    the kernel to a mp kernel.

    From hal.inf:
    ;****************************************************
    ; Standard AMD64 HAL. Although there is only one HAL, we have two install
    ; sections so that we can move from the UP kernel to the MP kernel when
    ; processors are added to the machine.

    The only other caveat to the process would be that the hal choice was not
    forced during or post setup.
    If you force the choice you are overriding the defaults so the detection
    doesn't take place.
    For example. using F5 or F7 to dictate hal choice.
    Or if you are using a custom hal.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: From single core to dual core
    <Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 16:37:19 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Nope. BTDT. No change required.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <
    <Mark Gillespie wrote:
    <> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:44:17 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <>
    <>> Carlos -
    <>> As pointed out, yes, it will recognize it. It will take a reboot.
    And
    <>> you should then install the AMD driver (another reboot, I'm afraid) for
    <>> dual
    <>> core: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe
    <>>
    <>>
    <>
    <>
    <> I think you will also have to change the HAL..
    <>
    <>
    <> ---
    <> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    <> Virus Database (VPS): 0631-3, 08/04/2006
    <> Tested on: 8/5/2006 11:20:45 PM
    <> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 6, 2006
  4. correct. I knew there was only a single HAL, but hadn't read the hal.inf.
    Thanks for posting that. IAC, the reality is, you plop in a dual core and it
    JFW.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 6, 2006

  5. Thanks, you learn something new every day. My Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    should be here tomorrow, time to run x64 on that.. mmmmmm nice....

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0631-3, 08/04/2006
    Tested on: 8/6/2006 10:19:54 AM

    Mark Gillespie, Aug 6, 2006
  6. yes, a nice chip. Finally.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 6, 2006
  7. I don't get mine until after the 20th. No hurry, but I am looking forware
    to the GeForce 7900 card also.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 6, 2006