From single core to dual core

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. Will x64 recognize the new processor if I, turn off my pc, remove the single
    core one and place the dual core one, boot?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 5, 2006

  2. If your Board and BIOS supports it, that is my understanding. Yes.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Yes.
    On your first boot with the new CPU your computer will run through the
    "Found New Hardware" business (finding an "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" and some
    other things) and I don't think it will actually use both cores until you
    reboot again.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 5, 2006
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 5, 2006
  5. WHS

    John

    Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

    John Hollingsworth, Aug 5, 2006
  6. Thanks everybody for your prompt and clear replies.
    Now I'll have to speak with the different vendors here in Rio Grande and see
    how much can a dual-core uP can cost (surely 50% more than in the 1st world!)
    Now here goes another one that may have been answered elsewhere:
    Does the OS benefit of the dual-core or is it only the apps that do?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 5, 2006
  7. Everything benefits.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 5, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just curious, Carlos, why you would install an x2 into a 939 instead of
    waiting until you can replace the board, memory and cpu with an AM2

    John Barnes, Aug 5, 2006
  9. Price?

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 5, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Yep, X2's just got really cheap and one would make a nice upgrade for a 939
    system running a single-core CPU...
    As for the benefits, like Charlie said, everything benefits, but it doesn't
    make everything twice as fast necessarily. I'm sure there are more
    discussions on this that can be easily found in these newsgroups and
    elsewhere on the Internet.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 5, 2006
  11. What I see from a dual core versus a single core is a lot less of the hour
    glass. Everything feels silkier. More responsive at old pain points.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 5, 2006
  12. Because I can trade my old single core and pay only the difference to go up
    to dual core.
    Please remember that computing prices in Argentina are quite high and we
    have to resort to our wit, and our pocket, to make improvements.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 5, 2006
  13. Heck, I'm looking to do the same thing. I've got a perfectly good 939 box
    that has a 3200 in it, and 2GB of RAM. It's getting a 4200+ and another GB
    of RAM and all for a LOT less money than it would cost to build a new
    system. And it will handle a good deal more with that upgrade than it does
    now.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 5, 2006

  14. I think you will also have to change the HAL..

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0631-3, 08/04/2006
    Tested on: 8/5/2006 11:20:45 PM

    Mark Gillespie, Aug 5, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Good deal. A 5000+ x2 costs about $30 more than I paid for the 3500+ I have
    now. Can you trade mine :)

    John Barnes, Aug 5, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    John Barnes Guest

    My machine isn't stressed, and I have torn the machine apart to replace the
    chipset fan for the last time (runs cool enough without it anyway) and at
    this point I can't see myself investing $250-300 in throw-aways. For about
    $700-800 I will get the 5000+ xp, a new motherboard and 4 gig memory and
    hope the next one lasts my more normal 3 years instead of the 2 years this
    one will make. I bit the bullet on the PCI-XP video card last time and it
    rates a 5.9 on the Vista graphics rating and has been more than I need.

    John Barnes, Aug 5, 2006
  17. I wish I could!
    Prices are so high here.
    Just FYI, on the last price list I have (not updated)
    Athlon 3500+ u$s 320
    Athlon 4400+ u$s 750
    Athlon 3800+ dual core u$s 480
    See what I mean?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 6, 2006
  18. Well, I don't have your budget, I'm afraid.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 6, 2006
  19. Nope. BTDT. No change required.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 6, 2006
  20. Neither do I.