From experience: How many time can you record on DVD-RW?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lbbss, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Can someone tell me from personal experience, how many time can you
    re-record on a DVD-RW. With CD-RW I found that after a few times
    they got scratched up that I could not rely on the CD. When I copied
    jpgs they were often corrupted. Thanks for your input.

    lbbss, Dec 18, 2005

  2. lbbss

    me Guest

    Not being funny but if you are careful when handling them they wont get
    scratched and they will last for ages.
    When you say you copied jpgs you found "often" that you had corrupted
    files,do you mean from your hard drive to a new disc,or from a disc to
    another disc? Maybe the discs were bad to start with.

    me, Dec 18, 2005

  3. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I mean copied jpegs and avi's from hardrive to cdrw for backup.
    I am hoping to buy a dvd recorder and record tv show on dvd-rws.
    Just wondering if that would be practical. On average how many times
    do you think you could record on a dvd-rw. If someone could
    enlighten me from experience. How many times 10, 20, 50 times? Or
    are they too much bother from a practical point of view. Maybe I
    should dish out more money for a recorder that can do dvd-ram or hard
    drive. Thanks for your input.

    lbbss, Dec 18, 2005
  4. lbbss

    SgtMinor Guest

    Only a severely anal retentive person would actually write down the
    number of times s/he re-recorded a DVD-RW, and if you did find someone
    who actually did record this, it would not be for a wide array of media.
    Not all DVD disks are created equal.

    The theoretical number of rewrites for a DVD-RW disk is around 1000.

    http://www.looksmarthowto.com/p/articles/mi_m0BRZ/is_3_21/ai_77058240/pg_2?pi=lum

    http://pioneeraus.com.au.us.server-fast.com/media/downloads/dvd-rw_white_paper .pdf

    SgtMinor, Dec 18, 2005
  5. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In lbbss spewed forth:
    Take care of your discs. I have a CDRW at work that I've used for almost two
    years to make a weekly file update for a plant office - they take it out,
    run it, bring it back, and in a week I write a new update to it for them. So
    I'd say this one has been used close to 100 times (TDK brand, FWIW).

    DVD-RW isn't going to be any better if you don't take care of your discs. It
    just holds more data.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 18, 2005
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I read a one ng post saying that dvd-rw are too much hassle, that
    dvd-ram is much more convenient for recording tv shows.

    lbbss, Dec 18, 2005
  7. lbbss

    why? Guest

    After burning, http://www.dskin.net/

    d_skin Protective Disc Skins are optically clear protective covers that
    acts as a Skin for discs, guarding against scratches. The Liplock Seal™
    snaps onto the edge of any standard-size disc and holds the protective
    "Skin" tight. The Skin’s ability to eliminate scratches extends disc
    life, which helps reduce the high cost of replacing damaged CDs, DVDs
    and video games.

    Because all discs protected with d_skin Protective Disc Skins are
    readable right through the Skin, they can stay on the disc while playing
    movies, music, data CDs or video games as well as while burning data
    onto blank discs.

    Me

    why?, Dec 19, 2005
  8. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In why? spewed forth:
    Another excellent idea! I also like those plastic screen covers for LCD
    screens on PDAs, cameras, etc. for preventing scratches on expensive
    equipment.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 19, 2005