frequent crashes with US Robotics 8054 22MB/s wireless card

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by NGI, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. NGI

    NGI Guest

    Hi,

    I have installed a small wireless home network (ad hoc without router or
    access point) running on Windows XP, including 2 pc's and a laptop. Each
    machine has a US Robotics 8054 22 MB/s wireless card (laptop/PC versions
    respectively). I never had any problems with connectivity, sharing Internet
    access and normal file sharing. However, I am experiencing increasingly
    frequent crashes at apparently random moments on all machines (blue
    screen -> reboot). The minidump log ALWAYS mentions an error in the USRWLAN
    component.
    This has been going on for months now. US Robotics Tech support say they
    don't have any record of this type of problem and suggested I'd try and
    eliminate all other devices one by one to exclude the possibility of
    conflicts. This didn't lead me to any solution. I recently installed Windows
    XP SP2, but the problem is still there.
    I would be happy to buy different wireless cards, if I could be sure that
    this is a typical US Robotics problem, but I am afraid the same problems
    might occur with cards from some other brand. Does anyone have any
    recommendations for me?

    Thanks in advance,

    Massimo Lencioni

    NGI, Oct 27, 2004