    contract and a statute.

    Adobe does not get to make the law. That authority is reserved to the
    government.

    J. Clarke, Feb 9, 2014

  2. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    Are you counsel for Adobe? If not then how is it that you are privy to
    their intent?

    J. Clarke, Feb 9, 2014

  3. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    one need not be adobe's counsel to understand that a 30 day evaluation
    means one instance. it does not mean as many evaluations as you want.

    otherwise, there would be no point in buying it, just keep renewing.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  4. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    if they want a second trial, then they need to buy it. it's *one*
    trial, not unlimited trials.

    because a fixed time period is not ideal for everyone, some apps have a
    limited number of launches rather than a limited number of days, which
    means the trial can vary depending on how often they use it.

    however, adobe doesn't do that. for adobe, it's 30 days, at which point
    you must decide to buy it or find another option, and since you can
    subscribe on a month to month basis, it's not a big deal to extend it.
    they are concerned, and have taken steps to prevent multiple trials.

    adobe also has put a shitload of resources into combatting piracy,
    since adobe products and photoshop in particular are among the most
    pirated apps in the industry.
    then where do you draw the line? 2 trials? 200 trials? what's to stop
    someone from renewing the trial every month and never pay?

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  5. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    there is nothing stupid about it.
    except you aren't entitled to a second trial version.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  6. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    In the case of Adobe, it is all of the CC collection apps including PS,
    Lightroom, PSE, & and macromedia production products.

    ...and to reiterate, the offer is for *ONE* 30 day trial edition for
    evaluation purposes. I believe that more than simply using a fresh
    email is required, as the computer the app (trial or paid for) is
    install on is noted by Adobe.[/QUOTE]

    i'm 99.99999% sure they leave traces, which means if you want multiple
    trials, you need more than just another email.

    however, i can't be bothered to find out what particular files are left
    behind and where they are. i'm not interested in spoofing it.

    what i wrote above is *how* apps block those who want to get multiple
    trials.
    the reason there is an uninstaller is because adobe software is a suite
    of many apps that share components, not a single self-contained app
    that can be dragged to the trash.

    knowing which shared components to remove is best left to an
    uninstaller.
    that's correct.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  7. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    "Current" may change things. The "current" version is CC, and that
    give Adobe a more direct link to the computer.

    I've never tried an Adobe trial, but I recently used both OnOne and
    Nik trials.

    I won an OnOne V8 program in a camera competition, but V8 was not
    available at the time. I downloaded the V7 version and used it until
    I got the disk and the key for V8. I hated the popup nags that
    appeared every time I used the program.

    I did do a double 30 free trial of Nik, but the first was years ago on
    a previous computer. Wacom was offering a Nik bundle with a tablet
    and I was debating about buying another Wacom. I downloaded Nik and
    loved it. That enticed me into ordering the tablet. Turned out,
    though, the Wacom bundle was a severely cut down version that wasn't
    worth bothering with. Love the tablet, though.

    Within the last year, Nik came out with some special pricing so I
    decided to take a second look at it and ended up buying it.

    I used a second email addy for the last trial, but only because the
    original addy was a Yahoo address I don't use anymore. I think I
    still have it, but I forget the user name and password and haven't
    bothered to try to find out either one.

    I think there are some legitimate reasons for using a second trial of
    some software. While 30 days sounds like enough time to evaluate a
    program, it doesn't always work out that way. Life can get in the
    way.

    Had Nik prohibited me from using that second trial, I don't think I
    would have bought the program.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  8. Wildlife Sensitive

    Jasen Betts Guest

    you keep saying that, yet you have offered no evidence to support that
    claim.

    Jasen Betts, Feb 9, 2014
  9. Wildlife Sensitive

    Daniel47 Guest

    Daniel47, Feb 9, 2014
  10. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    And you wonder why I accuse you of using weasel words.

    You've read, or have been able to read, all that stuff that Adobe
    explicitly says you must agree to that SavageDuck has been churning
    out in his posts. They tell you that you are restricted to a certain
    number of computers and everything except that you have to wash your
    hands before opening the program.

    If they wanted to make it obvious, doncha think they could have added
    one sentence that says you are restricted to one trial evaluation?
    You are trying to make a weak case better by exaggeration..."string of
    emails". The point was made that a second trial can be obtained by
    using a second email address.
    No, if you read what I wrote, I said this *can* be done. Further, I
    don't consider using a second trial to be ripping them off. It
    indicates interest on the part of the user, that can lead to a sale.
    What is not "stringent" about the rest of what Adobe requires the user
    to comply with? They even demand you submit to arbitration!
    By default, they do.
    Yes, and one of those downsides is that some people who might buy
    after a second trial might decide not to buy if not able to try it a
    second time.

    Maybe some guy at Adobe decided to do a market survey to determine
    what percentage of users of second trials actually bought the program
    and found that the odds were in Adobe's favor to allow it by default.

    Of course, you're wondering how many frequent flyer miles such a
    survey would earn.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  11. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    It doesn't seem that answering a question is your strong suit. Your
    strong suit fits a straw man.
    Are you serious? You ever get your wrist slapped for taking a second
    sample at the supermarket? They gladly give you a second one.
    Well, if that's been a problem for you, try shopping at Costco. You
    can literally get a free meal from all the food samples there. And,
    they encourage it.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  12. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I'm seeing a pattern here. You've obviously had some bad experiences
    being caught taking too many samples at the grocery store and sneaking
    into other movies at multiplexes, so you've become like a reformed
    drunk who lectures endlessly about the sins of his past.

    You must have tried that movie theater trick or you wouldn't know
    about those checks in place that made it difficult for you.

    Here's a tip for you just because I like you: next time you go to
    Costco for lunch, go for seconds or even thirds on the cashew nut
    samples if they're the salted ones. They're yummy. Avoid the wheat
    grass juice stuff, though.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  13. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I've been meaning to ask...is there a police radio code for violation
    of one-time use of a trial version? You know, like the cops in the
    movies get a 10-50 (disorderly person) or 10-68 (see the complainant)?

    Like maybe 10-10 Version 2.3 for "Possible crime, multiple downloads
    with intent to understand how to use the Pen Tool make a curve"?

    When making an arrest, are the officers required to read the suspect
    the EULA?

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  14. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yup! they are or Yup! they're not?
    Simple deduction. They haven't, ergo they are not that interested.
    They have the technological ability to do so.
    The So? is that they are aware of it.
    Lie down with dogs and you get up with fleas.
    To encourage people to buy it instead of using the trial again. If
    they were concerned, they might call it a "One-time trial". As it is,
    the term tells you how many days the trial version will remain usable.
    Not all trial versions of all software remain active for 30 days.
    Does the word "assumption" not have meaning to you? You aren't
    Swedish, are you? You do see that my use of "assumption" precludes
    the need to ask if I'm speculating?

    When that word is used, it clearly indicates that the writer is not
    indicating he has inside information. The less careful writer says
    "it's obvious that..." (in all lower case).

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  15. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The ability to subscribe and drop the subscription is relatively new.
    It may reduce the number of people who download a second trial.
    However, the possibility of a second trial was a factor for several
    years when buying involved a significant cash outlay with no ability
    to cancel.
    This is pretty typical of the bullshit you produce. The above is
    presented as a statement of fact as if you have some insider knowledge
    of their concern. You allude to steps, but don't say what they are or
    how you are privy to this knowledge.
    I don't draw lines for Adobe. (I can draw lines with Adobe, though)

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  16. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    What's the code for cooping?

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  17. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yes, copy/pasting all that material is churning it out.
    I didn't say anything about that.
    Yes, it explicitly describes the number of days the program will
    remain active and usable. It does not explicitly, or indirectly,
    describe any other factor or that it is a one-time offer. It is only
    a one-time offer because downloading it is linked to the Adobe ID and
    the Adobe ID is linked to an email address.

    There is nothing in the term "Adobe ID" that indicates that a person
    can obtain only one.
    You aren't really any good at building straw men. You don't have that
    weasel gene. The above is a weak attempt. It has not been proposed,
    suggested, or discussed that there is any way to extend the trial.
    What has been proposed is that it is possible to obtain a *new* trial
    by creating a new Adobe ID linked to a second email address.

    Note that I have said "it is possible", and not that I suggest doing
    it, have done it, or that I endorse doing it. Just that it is
    possible.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  18. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    So how does leaving something on the computer prevent installation to a
    third computer? In point of fact, it is the existence of identifying
    information in a database maintained on Adobe's servers that prevents
    such installation, not something written on a computer on which the
    software has been previously installed.
    So you're saying that deleting the ".plist" file will permit
    installation on a third machine?
    What does "right" have to do with "lawful"?
    "Should" and "legally obligated to" are two different things.
    In your opinion. In any case what was proposed was to use it for one
    project and then if another project comes along that requires it use it
    for that project, not that it be used in several repeats for a single
    project.
    But according to your legal theory cancelling the subscription, which is
    for the term of one year, would also be "fraud".
    It may be "appropriate" but how do you know that it is "affordable"?
    Are you privy to the financial situation of the person in question?
    Now you are calling Adobe to task for not making an announcement?
    Yes, it is, and if you were going to make criminal accusations that is
    the one you should have gone after.
    The same way that you know all about their intentions. He surmised
    based on observed behavior.
    Geez, are you now saying that it can't be done? If so then WHY THE HELL
    ARE YOU WASTING OUR TIME WITH ALL YOUR BLATHER ABOUT "FRAUD"?
    Should and must are not the same.

    J. Clarke, Feb 9, 2014
  19. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    How does a ".plist file" provide Adobe with "awareness" of anything?
    And is this ".plist file" installed on the 30 day evaluation copies or
    just the full version?
    And of course you have tried this with the evaluation version and are
    sure that its behavior is as you describe.
    Is that the EULA for the trial version?

    You really need to get it through your head that one contract is not the
    same as another contract.
    Would you consider the use by Joe Btfsplk of
    "", "",
    "", "", and
    "" to be "cloaked".

    All that is required is a _different_ email address, not one that in any
    manner hides anyone's identity.
    Yes, they are. What of it? In this case there is a set of keys sitting
    on the hood with a sign that says "sign some random name here and you
    can use this car for 30 days".
    Again you are on about "should", which is far afield from the criminal
    accuasations you were making earlier.

    As a cop, were you allowed to arrest people for things they "should"
    have done when they had violated no law?
    Tell us the specific provisions of the EULA for the Adobe trial that you
    consider a second use to have violated.

    As to your question, it's irrelevant to the discussion of the legal
    matter at hand.
    Then perhaps you should not be arguing contracts law.
    I'm sure there are nasty folks who want to do in cops. But there are
    nasty folks who want to do in non-cops too so why is it only "fraud"
    when a non-cop does it?
    In other words you can find no such provision.

    J. Clarke, Feb 9, 2014
  20. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    So now you're saying that Adobe successfully prevents the action that
    you are claiming to be "fraud" and your whole argument is reduced to you
    foaming at the mouth about nothing.

    J. Clarke, Feb 9, 2014