    require using a false registration number.

    What has been discussed here is downloading a second 30 day trial and
    using that for 30 days.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 8, 2014

  2. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    Nope. While you are correct that the use any subterfuge is fraud, The
    claim of fraud by using multiple email addresses would probably not
    happen. It would take something more. Once you install an Adobe trial, a
    download of a second trial on the same machine would not extend the
    trial period.

    PeterN, Feb 8, 2014

  3. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    Almost right. If you truly believe i have committed a crime, and you
    report me to the authorities, who determine that I had nothing to do
    with the situation you report, you have not committed a crime. However,
    if you make a knowingly false accusation against me, that is a different
    matter.

    PeterN, Feb 8, 2014
  4. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    Not always, see my pri0r posting.

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  5. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    Indeed. There is a difference between unethical behavior and criminal
    behavior.
    In some countries child factory labor is legal. However, employing a
    child to labor in a factory, is morally reprehensible. (I am not taling
    about the bosses child doddering around.)

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  6. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    Not always.

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  7. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    using software without paying for it. do try to keep up.
    pretty much everything he wrote.
    using a second email to get a second 30 day trial is fraud. very simple.

    adobe doesn't have a problem with personal projects and i know people
    at adobe who have suggested using their free trial for one-offs.

    regardless, you only get *one* trial to see if it fits your needs. not
    two or more.

    using multiple emails to get additional free trials is fraud. i don't
    know why this is so difficult to understand.

    if you want to keep using the software, then buy it. if not, don't.

    it's like paying for one movie and then sneaking into a second movie
    after the first one is over. one ticket is admission to *one* movie,
    not two or more. the movie theater might not notice if you do, but you
    have obtained something without paying.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  8. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  9. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    We are talking about Photoshop, not any other app.

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  10. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    The issue is use obtained through subterfuge. In what jurisdiction is
    using subterfuge not fraud?

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  11. Wildlife Sensitive

    John Hasler Guest

    ....then it was not a false report.

    John Hasler, Feb 9, 2014
  12. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    it applies to photoshop and all other apps that check for previous
    installs.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  13. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    they may not explicitly say 'one trial per customer', but it's obvious
    they do not expect one person to use a string of emails and whatever
    else is needed to get extended use of the software.

    doing so is obtaining something to which you are not entitled.
    again, i'm not the one trying to justify ripping off adobe.

    it's *one* 30 day trial. period.

    if you want to use it beyond that, you can pay for it. if not, don't.
    nothing weasel about it. they could require a lot of things, but the
    more stringent it is, the less likely people will bother trying it,
    which means fewer sales. it's a business decision.
    if they were not concerned, then they would allow multiple trials.

    since they *do* block multiple trials, they obviously are concerned.
    they could, but the additional checks have a downside and they no doubt
    looked at whether it was worth their while.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  14. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    i realize math is not your strong suit, but the trial period is 30
    days. it is not multiple instances of 30 days.

    it may not be that hard to fool them into multiple trials, but that
    doesn't mean it's ok.

    is there a sign at the supermarket 'one sample per customer' ?? no,
    but it's understood that it's a *sample*, not a free meal, if by
    nothing else, the finger sized serving cups.

    you might be able to get a second sample, but once they realize you're
    trying to get a free meal out of it, they're going to shut you down and
    possibly want you to pay for what you ate.

    and the fact you're trying to justify it says a lot.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  15. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    that doesn't mean you are entitled to multiple trials.

    movie theaters won't usually know if you sneak into another movie after
    the first one is over, but that doesn't mean they're ok with it. they
    know that a few people will do it, but not enough to justify staffing
    each screen with someone to check tickets. however, a lot of the newer
    theaters have checks in place without needing staff so it won't work
    anymore anyway.

    if you go the supermarket and keep going back for multiple samples,
    they're going to shut you down fairly quickly.

    i don't know why you have so much trouble with a 30 day trial versus as
    many trials as i can get by fooling adobe with multiple emails.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2014
  16. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    C'mon yourself. The Adobe people aren't stupid. They've been
    offering trials for many years. They know people are downloading a
    second trial, and they aren't that concerned about it or they would
    determine a way to prevent it. They have the technological ability.
    They found a way to control things somewhat with the "phone home"
    addition a few years back.

    If nospam is to be believed, Adobe can leave a something in the
    computer that stays in the computer and prevents a second download.
    Hell, Norton manages to make it almost impossible to wipe them
    completely out.

    Some of the people now working at Adobe are probably people who have
    done the same thing themselves when the first got interested in the
    program and before they came to work for Adobe.

    nospam introduced this "multiple" factor, but the most common
    occurrence is more likely the person who didn't get around to working
    with the program enough the first 30 period and wants a second shot at
    it before they commit.

    And, some are like the OP of this thread that nospam encouraged to use
    Adobe's labor for free for his little project, and now has a second
    project.

    Adobe doesn't seem to be concerned about this. The real fraudster
    that Adobe wants to stop is the one that isn't going to dick around
    with 30 day bites and goes for a pirate copy.

    My assumption is that Adobe's position is one of benign neglect
    because they feel that a second download is an indication of interest
    and that means a possible sale. They don't want to encourage it, but
    they aren't interested in doing anything to prevent it.

    As far as the huffing and puffing seen here about the ethics of those
    who download a second trial using a second email addy, I'm not one to
    judge them. If Joe Blow didn't have the opportunity to evaluate the
    program in 30 days, and wants a second shot, let him.

    Just for the record, I never downloaded even the first trial. I
    worked with a friend who had the program, liked it, and ordered it
    straight off. And, I've upgraded several times since without trials.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  17. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Do you realize how stupid that answer is? The use of the trial
    version is free. The use of a second trial version is still free.
    That's what a trial version is.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2014
  18. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/8/2014 9:19 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    I have downloaded the trial on almost every version I used, just to see
    if the features were worth the price of the upgrade. I have tried other
    programs, Some I have bought, and some I decided was not for me. i can
    think of only one program I tried just to use it on one project, but I
    liked it enough , that I bought it.

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  19. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    Freudian slip?

    PeterN, Feb 9, 2014
  20. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    They are? In what manner is this "awareness" obtained and what is your
    source for the information that they do in fact obtain this awareness?
    So you admit that they are assuming that the user is using a throwaway
    email address? Or did you mean something else when you said "one-time"?
    You were asserting that a protection system of some kind was
    circumvented. Are you now withdrawing that assertion?
    In the Soviet Union perhaps. In the US if a contract does not say "you
    may not do X with this product" and if there is no statute that
    prohibits you doing X with this product, then you may do X with this
    product.
    In other words they do not prohibit the act that you are asserting that
    they prohibit because they assume that most people won't do it? If you
    have visions of becoming a contracts lawyer don't quit your day job.
    "LE cloaking on your DL"? You mean cops commit fraud by "cloaking"
    their photo ID?
    OK, quote us the line from the EULA that states that any usage other
    than those expressly permitted is forbidden.

    <remainder, which appears to contain no new material, trimmed>

    J. Clarke, Feb 9, 2014