    PeterN Guest

    that's about par for an answer from you. Instead of replying, attack.
    Now do you feel better?

    PeterN, Feb 12, 2014

  2. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    no it isn't. it is just a bunch of idiots spouting.
    only because it keeps them employed.

    there's no career in maintaining macs because there's not a whole lot
    to do.

    Guest, Feb 12, 2014

  3. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    you're confused, as usual.

    Guest, Feb 12, 2014
  4. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    you're not the one criticize others about attacking.
    i've been feeling just fine all along. thanks for asking.

    Guest, Feb 12, 2014
  5. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    Duck, you clearly know as much about IT as you do about fraud.

    J. Clarke, Feb 12, 2014
  6. Wildlife Sensitive

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Is virus removal the only thing an IT person does?

    Tony Cooper, Feb 12, 2014
  7. Wildlife Sensitive

    Jasen Betts Guest

    Then how is it done?

    I note your continued lack of any concrete information to backup
    you specious claims.

    Jasen Betts, Feb 12, 2014
  8. Wildlife Sensitive

    Jasen Betts Guest

    Sometimes, if there's a large number (hundreds?) of images needing the same
    treatment, I might use netpbm, imagemagick, or fly but that list doesn't
    include the one I was thinking of.
    First, how should I measure.
    You mean Officeâ„¢ environments :)
    Yes, given that choice.

    Jasen Betts, Feb 12, 2014
  9. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    An IT person, if he's doing his job, configures desktop machines so that
    they won't try to boot from a USB device or removable disk and does not
    provide users with privileged accounts. Between the two the virus
    infection rate becomes almost vanishingly small.

    Mac advocates seem to think that Windows 95 is the current state of the
    art.

    J. Clarke, Feb 12, 2014
  10. Wildlife Sensitive

    J. Clarke Guest

    Seems all you are doing here is snarking. You are not making friends
    for Linux with this approach, you are just reinforcing the notion that
    Linux users are loons.

    J. Clarke, Feb 12, 2014
  11. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    yet it still happens.
    nonsense. where did you get that stupid idea?

    Guest, Feb 12, 2014
  12. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    obviously too embarrassed to admit what it is publicly.

    Guest, Feb 12, 2014
  13. Wildlife Sensitive

    Sandman Guest

    Nope.

    Would you say that the plug in the bottom of your sink is an effective
    block for the water to run out? Do you find it hard to overcome it?

    If you own a safe, you might consider the dial lock to be an effective way
    to block access to the contents of the safe, yet for someone that knows the
    combination, the block is easy to overcome.

    Do you think car thieves consider the "blocks" (i.e. door locks) on older
    cars to be hard to overcome? Most do it in a matter of seconds, yet you
    consider a locked car door to be an effective block to entry to your car.

    Do you have a password for your computer? Then perhaps you think that is
    effectively locking out others from accessing your computer, yet I can
    assure you that someone with physical access to your computer will be able
    to overcome this block quite easily.

    These are very simple concepts.

    Sandman, Feb 12, 2014
  14. Wildlife Sensitive

    Guest Guest

    or knows how to pick it, which isn't all that hard.
    there's a new method the thugs are using that the cops can't figure out
    how it works.
    no kidding.
    they are indeed, but what you neglect to understand is that even simple
    concepts are too complex for certain people.

    Guest, Feb 12, 2014
  15. Wildlife Sensitive

    Sandman Guest

    Pretty much the same for the blocks Adobe puts in their software, to keep
    honest people only using the software for the time Adobe allows them to :)

    Sandman, Feb 12, 2014
  16. Wildlife Sensitive

    Jasen Betts Guest

    Jasen Betts, Feb 13, 2014
  17. Wildlife Sensitive

    Jasen Betts Guest

    There reall is only one that's actually on topic in all three
    newsgroups.
    I used it once, it did the job a few hundered times.
    IIRC it was doing a matte composite of 2 or 3 images and adding some
    programatically derived text, nothing real complicated.
    here's the article.

    http://issuu.com/gimpmagazine/docs/whitepaper-gimp-vs-ps
    I learned last week that you can still buy word perfect, and the old
    versions are free.
    sounds like a good move to me, I've never used Ms office for more than
    4 hours straight withour regretting it.
    It can't be too serious a problem, it hasn't come up in Risks.
    http://issuu.com/gimpmagazine/docs/whitepaper-gimp-vs-ps
    no, not convinced...
    also not interested in an OS-war thread.

    Jasen Betts, Feb 13, 2014
  18. Wildlife Sensitive

    Jasen Betts Guest

    Jasen Betts, Feb 13, 2014
  19. Wildlife Sensitive

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Feb 13, 2014
  20. Wildlife Sensitive

    PeterN Guest

    Not quite. In an office where I do some consulting, I use WP XIV for
    form design, internal memos and letter templates. The results are
    compatible with Word, Excel @ Acrobat.
    Though I am not so sure the "free" cooy of WP is a legal copy.

    PeterN, Feb 14, 2014