Freetalk, Vonage, BT Broadband Talk - important difference

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by duncan.perrett, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. I have just bought a Freetalk box. I have yet to activate it. From
    what I can gather, the Freetalk and Vonage setups are VERY similar.
    However BT has one advantage....

    It's ATA or Phone Adapter (in my case it would be a Voyager 10V) has an
    extra port to connect to the home's landline circuit.
    I believe this means that if someone called your new VOIP phone number,
    all your phones would ring and similarly if they called your current
    landline phone number - all your phones would ring. Therefore BT's
    advantage is that you needn't bother to inform all your friends and
    relatives about your new (VOIP) phone number since they can continue to
    call you on your current landline phone number.

    I am tempted to change from Freetalk to BT because of this.
    The only reason I may just keep Freetalk is because my wireless router
    (and Ethernet Cable Modem and NTL socket) is not positioned near a
    landline socket. I will be connecting the Freetalk box to a cordless
    (DECT) base station. So I would have to move everything (or run a long
    cable) to take advantage of BT's feature. I will also connect a
    regular phone to a landline socket but then my phones will
    unfortunately not ring 'as one'.

    Another point on VOIP ...

    The VOIP vendors are keen on advertising the fact that you can choose
    any local area code regardless of your physical location. This is
    meant to save your callers money. However, nowadays, there is no cost
    difference between a local call and a national call. So it seems
    pointless to me unless you are talking internationally.

    Any comments?

    duncan.perrett, Apr 6, 2006

  2. duncan.perrett

    PhilT Guest

    number portability offers the same benefit - ditch the landline ?
    Business lines and some other BT tariffs (Light User) do differentiate
    the charges to local and long distance still.

    Phil

    PhilT, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh :
    In addition to my Birmingham numbers, I have a London number, Liverpool
    number, Manchester number, and several other areas, these I use like many
    others not for people to be able to call at a lower rate, which as you have
    noticed for residential customers the rates are the same, but to appear to
    be located in those areas.

    I have a German number, Italian number, Romanian number and a USA number
    too, these are used so it is cheaper for the caller to call.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Which VOIP providers offer number portability then?

    duncan.perrett, Apr 6, 2006
  5. duncan.perrett

    Sean Guest

    Not much of the UK can get broadband without a BT line.....

    Sean, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Thus spaketh Sean:
    The OP is on NTL.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 6, 2006
  7. Is having a BT or NTL line relevant to my post?

    duncan.perrett, Apr 6, 2006
  8. duncan.perrett

    PhilT Guest

    only half the households.

    Phil

    PhilT, Apr 6, 2006
  9. duncan.perrett

    PhilT Guest

    yes in that there would be a case for not having a landline if you have
    NTL cable internet. Also the local vs national call charges debate is
    call carrier specific.

    otherwise no.

    Phil

    PhilT, Apr 6, 2006
  10. duncan.perrett

    M.Dexter Guest

    Seems totally pointless to me to have any voip line if you need to
    have a landline for internet access .

    M.Dexter, Apr 6, 2006
  11. duncan.perrett

    M.Dexter Guest

    Very relevant having cable internet you can totally rule out any need
    for a very expensive land line by acquiring a voip line .

    M.Dexter, Apr 6, 2006
  12. duncan.perrett

    alexd Guest

    I believe that Gradwell do - however, if the number you want to port isn't
    in the 020 area code, you'd have to pay per-hop to Gradwell [or Magrathea
    or Gamma or whoever does their back end]'s data centre for calls.

    alexd, Apr 6, 2006
  13. duncan.perrett

    hairydog Guest

    What an astonishingly silly thing to do. It isn't BT who provide this
    facility, it's the ATA.

    You can buy a Grandstream AT-486 that does the same, or one of several
    other (but maybe more expensive) ATAs that have full FXO ports that do
    the same and more.

    hairydog, Apr 6, 2006
  14. duncan.perrett

    hairydog Guest

    Only if you don't understand the advantages of VOIP.

    But then again, it is you...

    hairydog, Apr 6, 2006
  15. OK.
    I want to keep my landline for emergency situations and in case of
    power cuts or loss of NTLWorld service. Anyway, I'm on a triple-play
    package so the phone line is kind of thrown in with my TV and
    Broadband. The advantage of VOIP is that ALL my calls to UK landlines
    are 'free' 24/7. I could pay NTL and join a 24/7 Talk Plan but it
    would cost me more! Also with the VOIP I get much better features than
    with my NTL line. Eg: Caller ID, itemised billing, etc...

    I know I could buy a fancy ATA and/or replace my wireless router, but I
    don't want the hassle of having to configure it to work on Freetalk or
    whoever.

    duncan.perrett, Apr 7, 2006
  16. Thus spaketh :

    Not sure if it's the same with NTL, but with Telewest if there is a local
    powercut (not just in the house powercut) the phoneline will not work
    anyway, it's different with BT theirs will work in power cuts.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 7, 2006
  17. Oh dear - I'll just have to keep my mobile charged then!

    duncan.perrett, Apr 7, 2006
  18. duncan.perrett

    Tim Bray Guest

    Unless they are doing something very clever, it is a feature of tha
    hardware, rather than the service.

    You can do this using any SIP service provider and an SPA-3000.

    It takes a little bit of setting up, but works very nicely.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Apr 7, 2006
  19. duncan.perrett

    M.Dexter Guest

    So really you do not have a need to keep an expensive land line then.
    On the other hand if you subscribed to Vonage you could still dial 999
    from a Vonage account .

    M.Dexter, Apr 7, 2006
  20. Packet 8 USA (Freetalk partner) have a nice feature called Simultaneous
    Ring.
    If Freetalk could also offer this feature then the BT advantage (see
    first msg in thread) disappears.

    You effectively can consolidate all your various phone numbers into
    your VOIP number. So people would call your VOIP number and your
    mobile, office, home VOIP and home landline phones would all ring
    simultaneously. Cool.

    duncan.perrett, Apr 7, 2006