Free Web Based Email List

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by geothermal, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Free Web Email compared : April 11th 2004

    Juno - 2 MB of email space. Emails must be
    2MB or smaller. Junk mail reporting
    button. Email in trash does not count
    toward email space. Built in spam filters.

    Yahoo - 4 MB of email space.
    Free virus scanning for email attachments.
    Address Book can store up to 5,000 contacts.
    Send up to 3 attachments totaling 3MB in
    any email message.

    Netscape - 5 MB of email space. You must check email
    every 30 days. Email in trash folder still
    counts toward email space. Click empty trash
    button manually.

    Hotmail - 2 MB of email space. Junk mail reporting
    button. Inactive after 30 days. Deleted after
    90 days of no use. Emails can me 1 MB size or
    smaller. Messages in the Sent Messages folder
    that are more than 30 days old are deleted.
    Free virus scanning for email attachments.

    Please add more to this list. Thanks.

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 12, 2004

  2. geothermal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Excite - 3mb or 1000 messages

    Toolman Tim, Apr 12, 2004

  3. geothermal

    Mary Guest

    I signed up for my Yahoo e-mail years ago & actually have 6MB of space.

    Mary, Apr 12, 2004
  4. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Your long term patronage is rewarded. *smile 4MB now for
    email on yahoo.

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 12, 2004
  5. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Thanks Toolman ! I like the 250 background images that
    Excite has to choose from. We'll see how good the free
    spellchecker is. (^: It looks like Excite has 11 email
    filters that I can set up. Hmmm, and it says I can add up
    to 3 attachments to each email. The max size of an email is
    3MB. I also like the free automatic vacation email reply
    feature. And I can set up a safe emai list for friends and
    then all other email will go into the bulk email folder.

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 12, 2004
  6. geothermal

    Livewire Guest

    Don't forget Google -- apparently going to launch with 1 gig free
    storage.

    Livewire, Apr 12, 2004
  7. In exchange for scanning your email for keywords, and from that
    information inserting targeted ads. Bad trade-off.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 12, 2004
  8. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    You mean yahoo and hotmail and the others don't do this
    already with their ads ?

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 16, 2004
  9. You tell me.

    If they do, so what? Does that mean Google won't?

    Do you object to consumer *awarenesss*?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 16, 2004
  10. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    The burden of proof was on your shoulders. And a two line
    sound bite from you does not constitute *awareness*.
    Provide a link to prove that it is a "bad trade-off" ?
    You probably can't.
    If they all do, then it is a standard way to generate money
    now that pop-up blockers have decreased ad revenue streams
    to pay for "free" web based email. If you know of a free
    web based email company with zero ads, then post the info.
    I would not be surprised in the slightest if Yahoo and
    Hotmail already supplied ads to my screen because they
    scanned my email for keywords. I just don't care much
    if they do it.
    Won't do what ?
    Do you object to letting individuals decide what is bad and
    good instead of deciding for them ? Yes, go ahead and post
    your *awareness*, but some people like the ads in exchange
    for the extra email space. Also Gmail has no banners nor
    pop ups, so for some it might be a fair trade. Also the
    ads that Gmail includes are text only which can be easily
    ignored compared to jpg or gif ads.

    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...52.html++"scan+your+email+for+keywords"&hl=en

    or http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z53162D18

    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...al.com/++"scan+your+email+for+keywords"&hl=en

    or http://makeashorterlink.com/?S55132D18

    And here is a link for info about Gmail for you.

    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

    Here is a look at how Gmail will look in the beta
    testing version.

    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/screen2.html

    I personally will not move to gmail as I have two other
    webbased emails already. But if one of them goes belly up,
    then I might consider Gmail since the ads are on the right
    side where I can ignore them better than at the top and bottom.

    Lastly, here is Gmail's privacy policy for you.

    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html

    geothermal

    geothermal, Apr 24, 2004
  11. I have no burden of proof. I was asked a question, and didn't know
    the answer. I chose not to just make one up out of thin air.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 24, 2004
  12. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    You claim that Gmail is a "bad trade-off". That is what you
    failed to prove.

    geothermal

    geothermal, Apr 25, 2004
  13. It is my opinion that free space is not worth emails with advertising
    included. If *you* want to subject your correspondents to more spam, go
    for it.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 25, 2004