    your vonage phone rings, you pick it up, and the person that entered their
    phone # on the website is automatically connected. This is an awesome
    feature! ...Just think of the possibilities with a feature like this.

    Sam Moore, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Sam Moore

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Looks useful, but I am not and have no wish to become a Vonage customer,
    they are too expensive. If it can be done with other SIP services then I
    am definitely interested.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Sam Moore

    Martin² Guest

    Ivor:
    Nothing to it (me thinks). Get you friend to set up a softphone, email his
    IP number and then you just call them from your VoIP (soft)phone.
    Of course what Vonage has done is wrapped the whole thing up as a single
    process,
    no doubt some one will do the same soon enough.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 21, 2005
  4. and you are paying for the call to a non-VoIP number I guess...
    does Vonage allow any incoming SIP calls from third parties?

    Georg Schwarz, Oct 21, 2005
  5. why do you need to know an IP address? Doesn't vonage provide SIP URIs
    for their customers?

    Georg Schwarz, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Sam Moore

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I am not and do not want to be a Vonage customer.

    Nor do I want to use a softphone, come to that.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 22, 2005
  7. Sam Moore

    Martin² Guest

    why do you need to know an IP address? Doesn't vonage provide SIP URIs
    You misunderstand. To call anyone, anywhere you just get them to run a
    softphone, then call them using their IP. They don't need to be registered
    with any SIP provider.
    That's basically what Vonage is doing with their 'webpage' phone.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 22, 2005
  8. Sam Moore

    Martin² Guest

    Ivor
    You don't have to, only the person without any SIP registration / hardware
    you want to speak to. Obviously Vonage has made it easier by doing all the
    setup via their webpage for the VoIP virgin.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 22, 2005
  9. Sam Moore

    Martin² Guest

    Schwarz:
    You still don't understand, the call is entirely VoIP.
    Anyone anywhere without any SIP software or registration can simply use
    their browser and a 'webphone' on the Vonage's website to connect to any
    Vonage user just by putting in the, destination Vonage number. ( Obviously
    speakers & microphone or headset on the originating PC is required ).
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 22, 2005
  10. Vonage, as far as I know, barely participates in VOIP. The only thing
    they allow their customers to do is place a call through them to the
    normal phone company. They don't allow their customers to call other
    SIP phones directly and they don't allow other sip phones to call
    their customers directly.

    If this has changed I'd love to know how to call vonage customers from
    my sip phone or how Vonage customers can call my sip phone.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 22, 2005
  11. I know. But in case they happen to be registered with a SIP server you
    just call their SIP URI without bothering about theirt current
    location(s) on the web. That's one of the advantages SIP holds.
    so they ask you to input the IP of the person you want to call???

    Georg Schwarz, Oct 22, 2005
  12. sounds like they are offering some Java-Applet or similar thing that
    acts in fact as a VoIP client. I would guess it only runs on certains
    OSes from a certain vendor with a certain web browser when using rather
    low security settings.
    For curiosity, could you point me to one such page as an example?

    From a compatibility and security standpoint it would be more customer
    friendly to just publish a SIP URI that people can use to call the
    respective Vonage customer with a SIP device of their choice. But that
    would probably too comfortable to the caller, so Vonage would loose fees
    on incoming PSTN calls substituted by incoming off-net SIP calls.

    Georg Schwarz, Oct 22, 2005
  13. Sam Moore

    Martin² Guest

    Georg, Wolfgang,
    according to the original poster and as per subject line (not quite clear),
    you do this from Vonage website. As previously said, all you do is put in
    the Vonage phone No. and get connected.
    I don't know anyone with Vonage phone, so I can't be bothered to look.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 23, 2005
  14. Sam Moore

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Did you read the bit where I said I don't want to be a Vonage customer..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 24, 2005
  15. Sam Moore

    Martin² Guest

    Ivor:
    Yep, me neither, but IF I needed to phone a Vonage No. I would use it.
    As I said I think this is interesting development and would get widely
    copied, it could
    bring lots of new customers to VoIP once they find it easy and free or at
    least cheap.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 25, 2005
  16. Sam Moore

    JuliusP Guest

    This is easy with an asterisk box and it should work on any available
    channel type

    JuliusP, Nov 4, 2005