    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

    Looks like that is EXACTLY what they have spend billions developing. And you
    think "secure computing" is about YOUR security? LOL!

    Stacey, May 6, 2004

  2. Pepperoni

    Plato Guest

    You're an Internet newbie plain and simple. Anything you do on the
    Internet is public and always has been. ie dont do anything on the
    Internet that you would would not want to see on the front page of your
    newspaper tomorrow morning.

    ie Everything you do is logged and is available just for the asking by
    any local govt. agency.

    Plato, May 6, 2004

  3. Pepperoni

    kony Guest

    .... big diffierence between info just "floating around" out there and a
    plan to accumulate the data for specific purposes.

    kony, May 6, 2004
  4. Pepperoni

    Plato Guest

    For example, there are about 300 businesses/govts. that have archived
    home pages from the beginning. This is one of the more publically
    accessable ones:

    http://www.archive.org/

    Plato, May 7, 2004
  5. Pepperoni

    CJM Guest

    Blimey...

    It's not often somebody tries to defend them, but when finally happens, they
    shoot themselves in the foot.

    [sigh]

    CJM

    CJM, May 7, 2004
  6. Pepperoni

    Chuck Guest

    lol

    I totally agree ...

    Chuck, May 7, 2004
  7. Pepperoni

    Stacey Guest

    I used to be a big MS fan but in the last few years, especially with the
    Lindows/SCO "attack the competition legally" crap, I changed my mind.
    Notice they lose an antitrust case yet -nothing- happens to them? They are
    an EVIL company and I wouldn't trust them with my personal information for
    any reason whatsoever.

    Stacey, May 8, 2004
  8. Pepperoni

    VWWall Guest

    You can run but you can't hide! If you're any sort of professional in
    the computer field, and subscribe to any computer literature, you're
    already on everybody's list. Actually, I find Microsoft is better at
    direct "spam" than many others. Again, if you read any computer related
    periodicals, you're already inundated with MS advertizements. But it's
    their buck and their ad budget.

    I find it amusing that some think they can keep personal data secure by
    not doing certain things. In this society, we start "advertizing" with
    our birth certificate. From then on, your life is an open book. It's
    only strange how few really want to read it! :)

    Virg Wall

    VWWall, May 8, 2004
  9. The following error(s) has occurred:

    We are unable to process your order at this time. Please contact
    Customer Service Monday through Friday, between 8 AM and 10 PM ET, at
    (866-584-5341), toll-free in the United States and Canada, and cite
    the following code: FE.

    cookie.cookie, May 8, 2004
  10. Pepperoni

    anonymous Guest

    This happened to me. I just immediately tried again. Filled out the
    form a second time. It worked the second time for me, got CD in 6
    days.

    However, it is a good example of what the real problem is.

    anonymous, May 8, 2004
  11. Pepperoni

    David 01 Guest

    6 days? It took over 2 months for me to receive mine.

    David 01, May 8, 2004
  12. Pepperoni

    anonymous Guest

    I'd say it's in stock now ;)

    anonymous, May 9, 2004
  13. Pepperoni

    Big Mac Guest

    Well you know, where does "Pepperoni" say this is new news?
    I don't see it. & though I already have the CD, since I do not visit
    any Microsoft sites (except Windows Update). I found out about it by
    catching just such a post in Usenet here & I would bet there are
    others who don't know about it. I even think someone should post this
    info once a week in Win XP related newsgroups... heck, post it in all
    newsgroups.

    Big Mac

    Big Mac, May 10, 2004
  14. Pepperoni

    Pepperoni Guest

    Everyone seemed to appreciate the tip except the "snobs" . I got pokes from
    Linux users, 9 kinds of web "experts" and some whiney internet types that I
    never saw before. Oh, yeah---- had some folks complain that they couldn't
    see the site properly using Netscape. (heh, heh) Also had some folks
    spooked about giving a mailing addy to Microsoft.

    Most folks liked the information, even though several took credit for
    already posting the info.

    Anyone who uses Windows can save hours of download time when they reload
    their OS, for just a few minutes effort to sign up. The free AV and
    firewall is a good bonus, too.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

    I got mine, and told everyone possible where to get theirs.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, May 10, 2004

    --
    Laura Fredericks
    PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

    http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

    Remove CLOTHES to reply.

    Laura Fredericks, May 10, 2004