    software. Which I believe has parts of it used in Adobies raw converer which
    cost a packet.
    TIA MikeS

    MikeS, Apr 27, 2004

  2. MikeS

    Lionel Guest

    Hi Mike.
    I've got DCRAW compiled (GCC + Cygwin) & working on my Win2K system.
    It works fine for me with my Canon 10D RAW files.
    I'd be happy to send you a copy of the program & required DLLs, if you
    like.

    Lionel, Apr 27, 2004

  3. MikeS

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Didn't you get a free copy of NikonView with the camera? It will do this.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Apr 27, 2004
  4. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Could you please talk me through the process, as I don't know where to
    install the DLL or the program come to that. I did down load DCRAW but god
    knows where it went. Do I use it like Nikon View, or do I have to use DOS?
    When I first loaded Nikon View it would edit just the ev values in raw and I
    could then transfer the image to PS Elements as a Tiff. I installed the
    plug-in for PS 7/Elements that came with View to read Nikon raw and that
    works very rudimentarily. But now view will not process raw when I click
    edit, it evokes Nikon Capture Editor (days trial left) Also I did copy
    plug-in for PS not cut and past. I would like to have a bit more control
    before loading images into PS Elements
    Sorry to sound like a dummy MikeS

    MikeS, Apr 27, 2004
  5. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Yes I did read my post to Lionel.
    Thanks MikeS________________________________________________________

    MikeS, Apr 27, 2004
  6. MikeS

    Lionel Guest

    You need to compile the program first, but as I said, it's no problem
    for me to give you the ready-to-run version *if* you're running a
    version of Windows that is compatible with the one I compiled my copy
    on. Any version of Win2K or XP should be fine, & may well be fine with
    '98 or whatever.
    DOS. It's a command-line program. The easiest way to use it is to throw
    it (& its DLLs) into a directory somewhere, dump your RAW images in
    there as well, then run 'dcraw MYPHOTO.NEF'. It'll create a decoded .pbm
    file in the same directory. The default settings do an okay job on Canon
    ..CRW files, so I expect they'll do as well with Nikon .NEF files.
    Once you've got the program running on the defaults, you need to start
    reading the documentation on Dave's website to learn how to tweak EV,
    WB, etc.
    Well, we all have to start somewhere. Just take things step by step &
    you'll work it all out eventually. ;)

    Lionel, Apr 27, 2004
  7. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Thanks Lionel,
    I'm running XP home edition.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Apr 27, 2004
  8. MikeS

    JC Dill Guest

    I recently bought a Canon 300D, and I'm looking for a simple and fast
    way to convert CRW to .tiff. This is the first I've heard of this
    program. Running a converter in DOS isn't a problem for me, and I
    already have Cygwin running on my win2k box. Can you please explain
    what the decoded .pbm file is?

    In my dreams, I'd love a program that did all of this on a batch of
    photos with one simple command:

    A) Convert Canon raw files (from 300D now, and from the 1D Mark II
    when I upgrade to it) from CRW to .tiff.
    B) Do lossless rotation based on EXIF orientation data, and update
    EXIF if needed (I haven't given a good look at how Canon writes the
    EXIF for portrait vs landscape images).
    C) Name the converted file as yymmddmm-xxxx.tiff where the date is
    taken from the EXIF and xxxx is the original crw number.
    D) Automatically save in a different (destination) folder, so that I
    have both my original crw files and my new tiff files in companion
    folders (in case I want to reconvert and tweak while converting).
    E) Rename Canon's .thm files to yymmddmm-xxxx.jpg and do lossless
    rotation if needed, and copy into the same destination folder - so
    that they can be used as thumbnails for quick scan viewing with a tool
    like thumbsplus or irfanview.

    Does anyone know of something that does all this and runs on Win2k or
    *nix? I'm going to be setting up a new desktop box - probably on
    Linux - and if there's something that can do all of this in *nix that
    may be all the motivation I need to get this project going... :)

    jc

    JC Dill, Apr 27, 2004
  9. MikeS

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    What Adobe? If it's Elements 2.0, find the file, in Nikon View named
    'Nikon NEF Plugin_5x.8bi' and copy it to the folder 'C:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\Plug-Ins\File Formats'. Then
    Elements can open NEF files.

    I don't know if it works for other Adobe software.

    Guest, Apr 28, 2004
  10. MikeS

    Lionel Guest

    That should run dcraw fine. So, you want me to send you the files?
    Are you posting with a real email address?

    Lionel, Apr 28, 2004
  11. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Yes please Lionel,
    My email address is for the purposes of News groups :-
    .
    MikeS

    MikeS, Apr 28, 2004
  12. MikeS

    Lionel Guest

    Done. The program & associated files are on their way. I've included a
    Canon RAW file for test purposes.

    Lionel, Apr 28, 2004
  13. MikeS

    Ed Ruf Guest

    NV only has the EV and WB adjustments either in the NV editor or with the
    NV plugin. When you installed Capture it installs itself as the default
    editor in NV and will then open files into it's editor instead. In NV if
    you right click on a thumb you can then choose the open using command to
    pick editor to load. As I can't run either the NV or Capture plugin in PSP,
    I can't tell you if the Capture plugin has the same increased functionality
    as the Capture editor, but I would expect it would.

    Ed Ruf, Apr 29, 2004
  14. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Ed,
    I copied the plugin over to Photoshop Elements in plugin folder and install
    by dropped it into file formats where in my case they are all shown as
    Photodelux plugins. I now cant edit raw in NV but can load raw files into
    Photshop Elements and adjust WB and EV using Elements to do the rest of the
    adjustment. Which is a saving in cash at the cost of functionality. But as
    you say Nik Editor is the default editor and there is no way to change it
    other than remove Nik Editor. So if you want to use Nik View as default
    editor it seems one must remove Nik ED. and aas I only have 4 days left I
    might as well.
    Regards MikeS

    MikeS, Apr 29, 2004
  15. MikeS

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Actually, run NV, then choose Edit => Preferences => Still Images. Choose
    Use the following program and then the Change burton to select what you
    want the default editor to be in NV.

    FWIW, Capture has much more functionality for you as a dslr owner than me a
    CP-5700 owner. You can remotely control the camera and I believe upload
    custom curves to the camera itself for in camera use.

    Ed Ruf, Apr 29, 2004