    T-Boy Guest

    anyone help suggest one?

    TIA

    T-Boy, Feb 26, 2004

  2. T-Boy

    Max Guest

    Look on magazine CDs for free software they are giving away. One once
    had a full version of an old dreamweaver, which is a good WYSIWYG
    editior.

    Max, Feb 26, 2004

  3. T-Boy

    The Hobbit Guest

    I know of a number of people using 1st Page - seems okay
    http://www.evrsoft.com/

    The Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004
  4. T-Boy

    Adam Smith Guest

    If you are a beginner it is probably better to learn from the ground up
    using MS notepad and webmonkey's HTML 'cheat sheet' so that the helpers
    included with most of the software packages don't 'learn on your behalf'.

    <goes away and googles for a link>
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/html_cheatsheet/

    Adam Smith, Feb 26, 2004
  5. T-Boy

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Feb 26, 2004
  6. T-Boy

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi T-Boy,
    Mozilla isn't just a browser. If you have the full version installed
    check out Composer from the Window menu.

    Regards,
    Adam

    Adam Warner, Feb 26, 2004
  7. T-Boy

    Chris Guest

    Open Office, a delayed thought (on my part)

    Chris, Feb 26, 2004
  8. T-Boy

    ac Guest

    Vi

    ac, Feb 26, 2004
  9. T-Boy

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Feb 26, 2004
  10. T-Boy

    Allistar Guest

    Allistar, Feb 26, 2004
  11. T-Boy

    Enkidu Guest

    If you are using Windows, notepad. If you are using Linux, vim.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 26, 2004
  12. T-Boy

    L33T Guest

    sure, back in the early days. but now ? people need detailed knowledge of
    html to build web pages like people need a mechanics degree to own a car.

    = not

    L33T, Feb 26, 2004
  13. T-Boy

    Gurble Guest

    There's always one...

    Gurble, Feb 26, 2004
  14. What, that makes good suggestions?

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 26, 2004
  15. T-Boy

    Ray Greene Guest

    Notepad? Man I hate that thing.

    Try a real text editor like PSPad from http://www.pspad.com/index_en.html

    It has most of the functionality of UltraEdit and it's free.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Feb 26, 2004
  16. T-Boy

    Chris Guest

    I quite like Edit Pad as a notepad replacement. I also use HTML Tool Kit
    which is a semi WYSIWYG editor.

    Chris, Feb 26, 2004
  17. T-Boy

    Gurble Guest

    Come on, realistically, why would you use a straight text editor to
    create HTML?

    Sure, create the juicey bits by hand, but it's the machine's job to
    fill in the mundane repetitive bits, not the programmers, and that's
    what a real editor does.

    I wouldn't want to pay somebody $100+ an hour to type out the same
    thing time and time again, or to spend the time manually formatting
    the code, etc.

    And how about code formatting? Just things like italicising comments
    etc make it a heck of a lot easier to understand and jump to the
    correct bit of code etc. Especially for a beginner.

    Gurble, Feb 26, 2004
  18. Because it makes it clean... and fast.
    Yeah, I played with something like that ages ago... in the end I went
    back to notepad.
    Thats what CSS is for... makes formatting easy. "Just set it and forget
    it" :)
    I spose... user preference really... I started with wysiwyg, then left
    to notepad, now I use a CMS with some custom code in there as well.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 26, 2004
  19. T-Boy

    Rider Guest

    Couldnt you just write out the code by hand a piece of paper, then use an
    OCR scanner to import it into Word (something similar) and save it as an
    html file? Always been curious about that.

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 26, 2004
  20. T-Boy

    T-Boy Guest

    Thanks to all the sugestions - well some of them anyway. No thanks for
    eg. to the folk that suggested text editors (especially notepad :)

    So far I've dl'd these...
    26/02/2004 13:07 5,110,063 1stpage2.zip
    26/02/2004 13:10 3,662,208 acehtml5free.exe
    26/02/2004 13:12 828,420 anansi32.ZIP

    Yet to try any out.

    To answer any other questions raised - yes of course a wysiwig editor is
    required - the person using this has no 'raw' html knowledge or skills
    (I *did* mention that). (It'll be my job, no doubt, to "fix the mess
    up" - I don't have much of a problem with that). BTW, I use EditPlus;
    and find it much better than say Edit Pad.

    I'll also check out some mags, see if any free stuff is available on
    CD's - dunno who'se gonna pay for the mag(s) - (but it won't be me).

    T-Boy, Feb 26, 2004