Free games hit the net (C&C, Far Cry, Prince of Persia)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mickey Mouse, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    EA celebrates the 12th anniversary of the Command & Conquer series by making
    the Gold version available for free download. Instructions are available to
    allow for compatibility with XP. The EA links got pulled about 3 hours ago,
    but the files are mirrored at the following locations;

    GDI and NOD discs:
    http://www.cnc-i.net/files/downloads/GDI95.iso
    http://www.cnc-i.net/files/downloads/NOD95.iso

    XP instructions:
    http://www.cnc-i.net/files/downloads...XP_INSTALL.doc

    These links happily delivered 400kb+ in multi-threaded mode, so speed is
    good. Also available on sites such as Fileshack.

    And if that isn't enough, simultaneously, "ad-supported" versions of Far Cry
    and Prince of Persia are also available for free download;

    Far Cry:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/180410/180000/fileinfo/Far-Cry-Full-Game-[Free-Game---Ad-Supported]

    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/180411/18...-of-Time-Full-Game-[Free-Game---Ad-Supported]

    (The FilePlanet downloads work on a queue system, and only allow for a
    single thread, but downloads at mostly in the 100-300k range)

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 2, 2007

  2. Any digests or any other kind of digital verification that they haven't been
    tampered with?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 2, 2007

  3. That's a "no", then.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 2, 2007
  4. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    I'm sure most people in this group are familiar with on-demand Virus Checker
    operation.

    Alternatively, they can read the news item at;
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48749
    and download from the reduced speed Fileshack links at:
    http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x/4280

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 2, 2007
  5. Mickey Mouse

    E. Scrooge Guest

    They all run on Ubuntu like a charm. Start downloading the lot, you won't
    be disappointed.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 2, 2007
  6. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    I've loaded the ISO using the freeware Virtual Clone Drive, successfully
    installed the package from the loaded ISO file, applied the XP patched
    THIPX32.DLL file included in the CCGOLDXPPATCH.ZIP file from the Fileshack
    website, and after configuring the main program file for Windows 95
    compatibility mode (ticking all the options), it works great in Vista.

    Just finished the first level and have saved it on opening the second level
    (Estonia) to allow me to quickly provide an update.

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 2, 2007
  7. Mickey Mouse

    Donchano Guest

    Unfortunately, this link opens a page with an error message (I've
    tried FF, Opera and IE). Also tried pasting the link into FlashGet
    download manager and still no go.

    Any suggestions? Or another link (can't find one on that page)?

    Donchano, Sep 3, 2007
  8. Mickey Mouse

    Squiggle Guest

    Thanks for the heads up.

    Downloading Far Cry now.

    Squiggle, Sep 3, 2007
  9. Mickey Mouse

    David Empson Guest

    The actual filename is CCGOLD_XP_INSTALL.doc, so try amending the above
    link accordingly.

    I got that particular file from EA's own web site.

    Start here:

    <http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/default.aspx?id=61#NewsMain>

    I'm not sure whether these free C&C Gold files are identical to the
    original game (which I still have on CD, as part of the "Command and
    Conquer Worldwide Warfare" box set), or whether they are a slightly
    newer update. Anyone done a comparison?

    David Empson, Sep 3, 2007
  10. Mickey Mouse

    Donchano Guest

    Donchano, Sep 3, 2007
  11. Mickey Mouse

    Donchano Guest

    Thanks. Our posts must have crossed in the ether ... or underwater
    somewhere in the Pacific along a fibre optic cable.

    Donchano, Sep 3, 2007
  12. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

  13. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    If you have any problems on the install, try the following Account and
    Password;

    A: OpenEntry
    P: 1stTime

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 3, 2007
  14. Mickey Mouse

    Donchano Guest

    <snip>

    Thanks for the links and info. I've now got C&C up and running. Never
    played the game before, but it's quite addicting.

    Donchano, Sep 3, 2007
  15. Mickey Mouse

    Allistar Guest

    Any special steps getting it to run on Linux? Are you using Wine or a
    virtual machine, or does it run natively?

    Allistar, Sep 3, 2007
  16. Mickey Mouse

    E. Scrooge Guest

    I hate to say it but can only offer the typical "Lawrence D'O... anti
    Microsoft" kind of solution to the problem.

    As Lawrence would say, the only solution is to uninstall Linux and install
    and use Windows XP to run the games and thousands of other applications from
    many different companies on.

    The prick's actual solution to any minor Windows problems that some people
    have is to use Linux instead. I've used Ubuntu, and while it works I know
    how limited the software for it is.
    Lawrence (David Murray) alone got the reply that he deserved.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 3, 2007
  17. Mickey Mouse

    Allistar Guest

    So I just downloaded a Gb of data for nothing? I assumed it ran on Linux
    because of the original post. Oh well, never mind. Games just get in the
    way of work anyway.

    Allistar, Sep 3, 2007
  18. Mickey Mouse

    Lodi Guest

    It seems as though Cedega 6.0 will play the games mentioned...

    http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/

    ....although you have to pay for a minimum Cedega subscription which
    defeats the purpose of the original "free games" download ($15.00 I think)

    http://www.transgaming.com/products/cedega/faq/

    Lodi

    Lodi, Sep 4, 2007
  19. Mickey Mouse