Frame-Relay class based shaping

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andrew Smith, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. Andrew Smith

    Andrew Smith Guest

    Hi,

    We need some help or advice is it possible or not. Let me explain
    our situation:

    We have a client, which is connected through a frame-relay PVC with
    CIR 512kbps. Through this PVC client gets internet and intranet
    traffic.

    We want to limit/shape internet traffic to 256kbps and within these
    256kbps we want to reserve/prioritize some bandwidth (for example
    32kbps) for voice gw. We have tried following configuration, but it
    doesn't work. It doesn't complains about anything, just don't let us
    to attach a class to PVC. Here's config we tried:
    cta-22#sh run class-map
    Building configuration...

    !
    class-map match-all not-intra
    description -- nets not in intranet
    match access-group 101
    class-map match-all voice
    description -- voice
    match access-group name voice.acl
    !
    end
    cta-22#sh run policy-map
    Building configuration...

    !
    policy-map aral
    class voice
    priority 32
    class class-default
    fair-queue
    policy-map aral-inet
    class not-intra
    shape average 256000
    service-policy aral
    class class-default
    fair-queue
    policy-map aral-512
    description Shape aral to 512kbps
    class class-default
    shape average 512000
    service-policy aral-inet
    !
    end

    cta-22#sh run map
    Building configuration...

    Current configuration:
    !
    map-class frame-relay aral-512
    service-policy output aral-512
    frame-relay fragment 96
    !
    end
    cta-22#sh run int ser 0/0
    Building configuration...

    Current configuration : 230 bytes
    !
    interface Serial0/0
    description --Uplink
    bandwidth 8192
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay
    ip route-cache policy
    load-interval 30
    no fair-queue
    no frame-relay inverse-arp
    frame-relay lmi-type cisco
    end

    cta-22#sh run int ser 0/0.640
    Building configuration...

    Current configuration : 166 bytes
    !
    interface Serial0/0.640 point-to-point
    description --aral
    bandwidth 512
    ip address x.x.x.34 255.255.255.248
    frame-relay interface-dlci 640
    end

    trying to attach map-class w/o success:
    cta-22#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    cta-22(config)#int ser 0/0.640
    cta-22(config-subif)#fram
    cta-22(config-subif)#frame-relay cl
    cta-22(config-subif)#frame-relay class aral-512
    cta-22(config-subif)#exi
    cta-22(config)#exi
    cta-22#sh run int ser 0/0.640
    Building configuration...

    Current configuration : 166 bytes
    !
    interface Serial0/0.640 point-to-point
    description --aral
    bandwidth 512
    ip address x.x.x.34 255.255.255.248
    frame-relay interface-dlci 640
    end

    cta-22#

    it is 2620 router running c260-j1s3-mz.122-15.T14 ios.

    Any help would be apreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

    Andrew Smith, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Andrew Smith

    Ben Guest

    Hi Andrew,

    To my understanding there is no reason why you shouldn't use the
    service-policy command with frame-relay, i.e:
    But I am not familiar with map-class command.

    cheers,

    Ben

    Ben, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Andrew Smith

    Andrew Smith Guest

    Hi Ben,

    I've tried to apply service policy directly to sub interface, but it
    just won't apply, without any warning. I think it is not possible to
    shape traffic within already shaped traffic IMHO.

    Andrew Smith, Feb 7, 2005