    I don't recall having had that problem before --- could the problem lie in
    the PDF file itself? (article from British Journal of Ophthalmology).

    Thanks for any advice.

    *alan*, Jan 15, 2008

  2. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Well, there've been no answers, so let me answer my own specific question,
    and pose yet another one.
    Yes, it appears that "copies, but pastes with no spaces" was an issue with
    those particular PDF's (both from the British Journal of Ophthalmology). I
    tested 3 other PDF's from other sources, and did not have the same
    roblem --- spaces pasted in MS Word, Open Office, and Notepad as in the
    original PDF.
    So, the question now changes: does anyone know of a work-around to return
    those spaces to the pasted text?
    Thanks again.
    --alan

    *alan*, Jan 17, 2008

  3. *alan*

    htnakirs Guest

    Did you try using another PDF reader?
    Depending on how motivated you are to get the spaces put in
    automatically , you can try taking a screenshot of the page, and
    running it through an OCR software. You will need to zoom the page to
    ensure that the screenshot quality is acceptable to the OCR app.

    htnakirs, Jan 17, 2008
  4. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Although I'd gotten rid of Adobe, I re-downloaded it and found that it had
    no problem in copying the spaces to the Clipboard.
    I also downloaded Foxit 2.2 (had been using 2.0) and found that I wasn't
    able to copy ANYthing from ANY pdf after having used the Select Text tool.
    I've written to Foxit to ask their opinion of the problems and it'll be
    interesting to see what kind of reply I'll get.
    In the meantime, I re-uninstalled Adobe (way too bloated), and have returned
    to Foxit 2.0 (not such a big deal that copying text from certain pdf's
    leaves out the spaces.
    I did like your OCR suggestion, had a bit of fun with that --- although the
    spaces, of course, were there, other problems arose having to do with
    accurate recognition.
    Thanks for your reply.

    *alan*, Jan 19, 2008