Foveon's new 3-CCD pocket DV camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Georgette Preddy, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Georgette Preddy, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Georgette Preddy

    tekfull Guest

    where are the pics you took

    tekfull, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Georgette Preddy

    Bill Funk Guest

    I suppose you could call it a *camcorder*, like any other digital
    camera that will take 'video' could be called one.

    It's like the joke:
    "By you, you're a cap'n. By your mother, you're a cap'n. By me, you're
    a cap'n.
    "By a cap'n, you're no cap'n!"

    My 'old' Elura 2 will work rings around it, simply becsaue that's what
    it's designed to do.
    If it ever materializes, the x530 will, I'm sure, take better stills
    than the Elura 2.

    Bill Funk, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Georgette Preddy

    Dave Haynie Guest

    Junk. 640x480 @ 30fps is not DV-quality, not even remotely.
    Particularly when you compress the piss out of it to store in on SD
    cards.

    Real DV in such a camera is totally impractical, even if you did have
    a decent sensor and image processor for it. SD cards are plenty fast
    enough, but the largest cards today, at 512MB and soon, 1GB, are
    totally insufficient. That 1GB card would store 4.5 minutes of
    DV-compatible video.

    And they also seem to have forgotten about audio. That is also an
    essential component of useful video (real DV records 16-bit 48kHz
    stereo or 12-bit 32kHz four-channel). No sound, and you're back in the
    '60s....

    And even back in the 60's, my Dad's double-8mm film camera did 6
    minutes per film spool. You did have to flip it over halfway through.

    Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
    "Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com

    Dave Haynie, Jun 10, 2004