Four T1s - 2 ISPs - One 7200 - Solution?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by SJ, May 13, 2004.

  1. SJ

    SJ Guest

    Hello,
    I have just been given the task of combining Four T1s (3 from ISP A and
    1 from ISP B) into a Cisco 7200.
    (Lines were inherited from merger and are under contract...so we cant get
    rid of them)
    I am assuming that running BGP to load balance among them is the way to go.
    Is it?

    And how difficult of a project is this since my BGP skills are in the
    novice-intermediate range.
    (My routing skills are pretty good however. I just have really never had the
    need for BGP in my past)

    I am also wondering how much help/info you get from the ISP to set this up.

    Any advice would be extremely helpful.
    Thank you!

    SJ, May 13, 2004

  2. SJ

    mh Guest

    The load balancing can be broken down into two parts:

    a) load balancing the traffic over the 3 T1 between your network and
    ISP #1

    b) load balaning the traffic between ISP #1 and ISP#2 on a 3:1 ratio

    The easiest way to handle a is to configure the EBGP neighbors using
    loopback address and static routes see Cisco document
    http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk80/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml
    Do not use the BGP weight attribute; use local preference sttribute
    instead.

    The second part is a little trickier. One of the ways to do this is to
    set local preference for a set of major upstream AS numbers on the BGP
    routes received from a particular ISP. So for example set local
    preference for all UUNET routes to be routed over the three links to
    ISP #1. Thus manipulating local preference affects OUTBOUND traffic.

    Use AS path prepend for a subset of you address space for routes that
    you advertise. Rember that a lot os ISP we not accept BGP routes
    advertises for prefixes greater than /24s. If you have a small
    address space this will be problematic.

    mh, May 13, 2004