Four studios unveil Blu-ray hi-def lineups.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.localnewsleader.com/brocktown/stories/news-00119955.html

    Four studios unveil Blu-ray hi-def lineups

    By Thomas K. Arnold and Kurt Indvik 52 minutes ago

    LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Four studios have announced slates
    of titles to be ready for the soon-to-be-launched Blu-ray Disc
    high-definition format.

    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
    and Lionsgate (formerly Lions Gate), all of which have lent their
    support exclusively to Blu-ray, announced their plans Tuesday, a day
    before supporters of the next-generation, high-definition optical disc
    format stage a formal unveiling at the Consumer Electronics Show in
    Las Vegas.

    Meanwhile, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment, which has said it
    would support both Blu-ray and format competitor HD-DVD with disc
    releases, also unveiled titles it will have ready for both formats at
    launch.

    More studios are expected to announce their high-definition launch
    slates this week.

    Sony and Fox each have earmarked 20 titles, while Lionsgate and
    Paramount each have lined up 10 for release on the Sony-developed
    format, timed to coincide with the debut of Blu-ray hardware in North
    America, Japan and Europe sometime in the early part of 2006.

    Sony‘s initial offering is led by such high-profile theatrical films
    as "Hitch," "The Fifth Element," "Legends of the Fall" and "House of
    Flying Daggers."

    Fox‘s first wave includes major releases "Fantastic Four," "The League
    of Extraordinary Gentlemen," "Behind Enemy Lines," "Kiss of the
    Dragon" and "Ice Age," among others.

    Lionsgate‘s lineup includes "Lord of War," "The Punisher," "The
    Devil‘s Rejects" and "Saw."

    Paramount‘s launch slate will have recent releases such as "Four
    Brothers," "Sahara," "Aeon Flux" and "Sky Captain and the World of
    Tomorrow."

    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment president Benjamin Feingold said he
    and his executives would be meeting with consumer electronics
    manufacturers at CES to pin down more specific dates for Blu-ray‘s
    launch.

    "Our objective is to provide a real show of support from the software
    side," Feingold said. "With the announcement of these first 20 titles,
    the age of Blu-ray has truly arrived. BD delivers the most advanced
    high-definition experience available to entertainment enthusiasts
    today, while offering filmmakers a limitless canvas to express their
    artistic vision."

    Mike Dunn, president worldwide for 20th Century Fox Home
    Entertainment, said Fox plans simultaneous releases of its films on
    Blu-ray and DVD as the format takes hold with consumers and deepens
    its household penetration.

    "The release of our films on Blu-ray will provide consumers with
    in-home entertainment beyond anything they have imagined," Dunn said.

    Lionsgate‘s upcoming May theatrical horror release "See No Evil,"
    featuring WWE star Kane, will be the company‘s first title released
    simultaneously on DVD and Blu-ray, Lionsgate president Steve Beeks
    said. Beeks noted that Blu-ray‘s advantages extend beyond
    higher-quality picture and sound. The format‘s expanded storage
    capacity will enable studios to offer increased menu navigation and
    other enhanced interactive capabilities "that will make the
    movie-watching experience at home unparalleled," he said.

    Sony said its initial slate will be released on single-layer, 25GB
    Blu-ray Disc with the exception of "Black Hawk Down" and "The Bridge
    on the River Kwai," both of which will be issued on 50GB dual-layer
    discs in the summer.

    Other films slated for Blu-ray release from Sony include "Bram
    Stoker‘s Dracula," "Desperado," "For a Few Dollars More," "The Guns of
    Navarone," "A Knight‘s Tale," "Kung Fu Hustle," "The Last Waltz,"
    "Resident Evil: Apocalypse," "Robocop," "Sense and Sensibility,"
    "Stealth," "Species," "SWAT" and "XXX."

    Lionsgate will include catalog hits "Terminator 2: Judgment Day,"
    "Reservoir Dogs," "Total Recall," "Dune" and "Rambo: First Blood" to
    its initial Blu-ray lineup.

    Thomas Lesinksi, president of Paramount Pictures Worldwide Home
    Entertainment, said the company will launch its titles under the
    banner Paramount High Definition and will include, in 2006, "Mission:
    Impossible 3" alongside "Mission: Impossible" and "Mission: Impossible
    2."

    Paramount‘s other Blu-ray/HD-DVD titles at launch will include "The
    Italian Job," "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," "U2: Rattle and Hum," " Tim
    Burton ‘s Sleepy Hollow," "We Were Soldiers" and "The Manchurian
    Candidate."

    The announcements are seen by observers as a pre-emptive strike
    against rival HD-DVD, which shortly after the Blu-ray Disc
    presentation was set for Thursday, announced a CES presentation of its
    own the night before.

    Both formats are vying to become the successor to DVD, which is not
    high-definition. Some industry analysts say Blu-ray currently enjoys
    the advantage, with software support from five of the six major
    studios, as well as Lionsgate Home Entertainment. HD-DVD, developed by
    Toshiba, has three studios lined up.

    At last year‘s CES, the three studios that support HD-DVD --
    Paramount, Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Warner Home Video
    -- announced an ambitious slate of titles timed to hit stores in the
    fourth quarter, when the first hardware units were slated to arrive.

    By late summer, however, all three had pulled back, saying they would
    wait until 2006 to release movies and other programming. This, in
    turn, prompted Toshiba and other consumer electronics firms to delay
    the introduction of HD-DVD players, as well.

    Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Allan

    Goro Guest

    No CHARLIE'S ANGLES 2????!!

    :)

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Snipped bullshit cut-n-paste article that we didn't need any more
    than a link to.

    You're a waste.

    Just so you folks know, the laser in a std DVD outlasts the mech
    hardware and it's own technology. ie I bought my first player (a
    Pioneer) and have since replaced it with a Progressive Scan, DTS , 6.1
    capable machine (a Sony) for less than half what the first cost me.

    From what I recall, they are only up to 10k hours on the life of the
    blue diodes, which means that it will likely be the failure point on
    any of those players.

    Something to think about.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    You re-quoted 129 lines of CRAP for that?

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Allan

    kaydigi Guest

    He's talking about CA2 because it was a disc that really showed off the HD
    format. It was used as a test disc in presentations and such. Similar when
    Armageddon came out on DVD and it rocketed to #1 on the charts.

    kaydigi, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Allan

    Goro Guest

    whoops. sorry. i was going to say some stuff about the titles listed
    but then sorta lost interest. i should snipped, tho'.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    The point was that he did NOT need to re-quote the entire text of the
    OP.

    This is Usenet. Have ANY of you young punks even read up on this
    forum you so readily INVADE?

    It is real simple to conform to standards. That is why you stop at
    a red light.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Hey... at least you care. I usually get plastered with gang boy
    diatribes about how lame *I* am for trying to get folks to express a
    modicum of conformity to the standards the Usenet forum has had for
    decades. Thanks for that.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Allan

    Goro Guest

    in my defense, i use GoogleGroups (at work!) and since it automatically
    hides quotes, sometimes you forget that there's all this krap up there!
    :)

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    And so your great etiquette made me read 10 useless thread elements that
    have nothing to do with the point of the thread. Thank you very much.

    Alpha, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    I suggest you think about how ludicrously unstructured your range of the
    moment, seat of the pants, illogical commentaries are.

    Alpha, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Did you "see" google's header today? :-]

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Yet your retarded ass took the time to add yet one more.

    Get over it, boy. WE were acting civil. You are just pissing and
    moaning.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    You obviously haven't been following the development of the newer
    laser diodes.

    I suggest you examine the post again. It clearly stated that current
    players outlast technological change within their own genre, while the
    newer units everyone (read some) wants to tout will likely die before
    the technology advances. Older players die of lack of use, and these
    new ones will actually have hard failures. It's really that simple.

    It's commonly referred to as MTBF, and obsolescence. The two are
    quite different animals.

    Current players get replaced with better players of the same genre
    with better features, and the new series will have failures up one
    side and down the other long before any "better features" make it to
    the forefront.

    Can you hear me now?

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  15. Allan

    Jer Guest

    Aren't you abrasive, Roy L. Fucher...

    Jer, Jan 4, 2006
  16. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Like your unsolicited, unqualified, unprofessional, E-1 grade
    assessment means a damned thing.

    You must be on the side of the thieves.

    Even though your idiot ass didn't quote the text to which you refer,
    I guess you think that I am not supposed to get miffed about some
    asswipe calling me ludicrous?

    Grow up, boys. You swing, I'll block, and IN THE BARREL YOU GO!

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 4, 2006
  17. Allan

    Jer Guest

    Like your unsolicited, unqualified, unprofessional,
    As if your off-topic, insulting, paranoid brainshit is going to hurt my
    feelings, you gnat.

    Kiss my chocolate starfish, Fucher.

    Jer, Jan 4, 2006
  18. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Still making friends I see.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 5, 2006
  19. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    snipped 122 lines of lame troll baby bullshit.

    Are you pushing for ten or twenty folks in here to file a complaint
    on your lame ass?

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 5, 2006
  20. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    It took two whole minutes to declare the retard the troll that he is,
    and even less to declare you the spamtard that you are.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 6, 2006