Foul demons (cell phone cams) fail in World takeover bid.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Digital cameras survive camera phone onslaught

    http://www.amateurphotographer.com/...uash_digital_camera_cravings_news_106213.html

    January 16, 2007 From Amateur Photographer
    Chris Cheesman

    Camera phones have failed to quash consumer thirst for digital cameras,
    according to Lyra Research, which predicts that digital camera
    shipments will exceed 130m in 2010.
    'Sales in 2006 showed that consumers' appetite for digital cameras has
    not been abated by the spread of camera phones or by existing digital
    cameras in the household,' said Lyra's director of consumer imaging
    research Steve Hoffenberg. 'Current digital camera users upgraded in
    droves to new models offered by every major manufacturer, lured by
    image stabilisation features, broader zoom lens ratios and higher
    resolution sensors.'
    Hoffenberg added: 'While the upgrading activity will eventually taper
    off, it shows little sign of vanishing through the end of the decade,
    as camera makers continue to pack more value into their products.'
    Worldwide digital camera shipments rose 21% to 98m units in 2006,
    according to Lyra, which provides market information to digital imaging
    companies worldwide.

    Rich, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Rich

    Bill Funk Guest

    There was a camera phone onslaught?
    Do the Dems know about this?

    --
    Arnold Schwarzenegger was at
    the Golden Globes Monday to

    Bill Funk, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Rich

    SimonLW Guest

    Camera phones have fixed focal length "prime" lenses so they must be awesome
    ;-)

    From what I seen from some fancy phones, looked like someone smeared
    Vaseline on the lens and sampled down to 1mp. Total crap. Other camera
    phones looked better, but the little fixed focus lens can only do so much.
    Shots from my old Kodak DC280 from 1999 look better. There's just no room
    for a good zoom lens system in popular phones, unless they want to make them
    bulky again.
    -S

    SimonLW, Jan 17, 2007
  4. Rich

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Fond memories of my first mobile phone, a big black metal box in the wall of
    my van, a handset the size of those bakelite things they had in the 1950s
    and a WAY cool pigs-tail antenna at the top of the windscreen. Rarely
    dropped out though...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jan 17, 2007