Forte Agent. Delete not "send to trash"?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Newell, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. John Newell

    John Newell Guest

    Using FORTE Agent 3.1/32.783 .....................
    Having read all the the Message Headers in which I'm interested
    I highlight (hi-lite) all the files< Ctrl "A" > then I "move x
    messages to TRASH." this empties the 'headings.'

    Next time I open the programme I'm offered the choice of
    1) "selecting a number of Message Headers" or
    2) "get all the Message Headers."

    I would like to see a list of all *New* files only and not all files
    of the past weeks or so.

    It would appear that I should "DELETE all files when I finish
    reading todays list, rather than send to TRASH? But HOW?

    Your guidance would be much appreciated.

    John

    John Newell, Dec 22, 2005

  2. John Newell

    Trax Guest

    |>Using FORTE Agent 3.1/32.783 .....................
    |>Having read all the the Message Headers in which I'm interested
    |>I highlight (hi-lite) all the files< Ctrl "A" > then I "move x
    |>messages to TRASH." this empties the 'headings.'
    |>
    |>Next time I open the programme I'm offered the choice of
    |>1) "selecting a number of Message Headers" or
    |>2) "get all the Message Headers."
    |>
    |>I would like to see a list of all *New* files only and not all files
    |>of the past weeks or so.
    |>
    |>It would appear that I should "DELETE all files when I finish
    |>reading todays list, rather than send to TRASH? But HOW?

    From the help file (F1), imagine that...

    "To permanently delete messages instead of moving them to the trash
    folder, hold down the SHIFT key while selecting menu option Message |
    Delete or pressing the DELETE key."

    Trax, Dec 22, 2005

  3. John Newell

    Mike Easter Guest

    Maybe you should read an article entitled 'news is not email'

    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/mail-news.html Why newsgroups are
    not e-mail

    And maybe also the forte agent faq

    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php Agent Newsreader FAQ
    Many people read their newsmessages by showing the articles headers
    which haven't been read and downloading or acquiring the headers for the
    new messages or the next xxx [number of] messages and don't bother with
    deleting or trashing the old message headers or bodies unless they are
    'cleaning up' or resetting their pointers.

    Mike Easter, Dec 22, 2005
  4. John Newell

    Shel-hed Guest

    In Agent 2, I would mark all messages read when exiting group, then view only
    unread messages. Rt-click on the subject column bar thingy.
    Go to group-default properties (or group- properties to apply to a single group
    only) for purging options.
    V3 may be a bit different, but you get the idea.
    It is not a good idea to delete messages to soon as this fragments the threads.
    It might not be too bad for forsale groups though.
    Remember that messages don't really get deleted until the databases are
    compacted.

    Shel-hed, Dec 22, 2005