    it did not continue further. Again no data transfer possible from the card.

    I would very much appreciate your comments on this.

    Pieter

    Zebra, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Zebra

    Larry Lynch Guest

    If you attempt to format the SD card with the PC it will
    PROBABLY default to a FAT32 format.. That WILL NOT
    WORK!!!

    I havent noticed you mention which Operating System you
    use..

    Win 2k & Wondows XP will ASK which type of format you
    want.. YOU WANT FAT16 ...(old style DOS/Windows 95 type
    format).

    Larry Lynch, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Zebra

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The card is defective.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Zebra

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I believe the 6490 is one of the newer cameras that will handle FAT32,
    but your point is well-taken for the majority of cameras out there.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Zebra

    Larry Lynch Guest

    I didn't know ANY of 'em would work with FAT32

    Live & Learn

    Larry Lynch, Jan 3, 2004
  6. At most... A few seconds.
    No Transfer? Does that mean you were able to take photos and actually
    have images on the card?
    There are "old wives tales" about not formatting in readers, but as
    long as you use the proper format they work fine. "Normally" the
    camera will recreate the directory structure the first time it's
    turned on.

    "Used to be" you wanted FAT 16, but some of the newer cameras now
    support FAT32.
    IF windows (which version?) was unable to format the card it sounds
    like it's trashed.
    If it's under warranty, send it back. If not, it's time to go out and
    purchase a new one.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Feb 4, 2004