Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by docsavage20@yahoo.com, May 25, 2006.

  1. Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed, May 31, 2006

  2. Rod Speed wrote:
    > David Maynard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Rod Speed wrote:
    >>
    >>>David Maynard <> wrote

    >>>Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
    >>>

    >>You're right. When it comes to 'bullshit' I'm unarmed.

    > Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

    But I am able to make new whole sentences.

    David Maynard, May 31, 2006

  3. Rod Speed wrote:

    > David Maynard <> wrote
    >
    >>Rod Speed wrote
    >>
    >>>David Maynard <> wrote

    >><multiple snips to cut down the BS>

    > You added more bullshit.

    Only in, unfortunately, serving as a vehicle for yours. A mistake I am not
    going to repeat.

    <snip of Rod Speed nonsense>

    David Maynard, May 31, 2006
  4. Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed, May 31, 2006
  5. Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed, May 31, 2006
  6. John Doe Guest

    David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:

    >>>You're right. When it comes to 'bullshit' I'm unarmed.

    >> Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
    >>

    > But I am able to make new whole sentences.

    Even different sentences for the exact same reply.

    John Doe, May 31, 2006
  7. John Doe wrote:
    > David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Rod Speed wrote:

    >>>Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
    >>>

    >>But I am able to make new whole sentences.

    > Even different sentences for the exact same reply.

    I see it exceeded your comprehension abilities.

    David Maynard, Jun 1, 2006
  8. John Doe Guest

    David Maynard <> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:
    >> David Maynard <nospam private.net> wrote:

    >>>But I am able to make new whole sentences.

    >> Even different sentences for the exact same reply.

    > I see it exceeded your comprehension abilities.

    To see you actually snip a couple hundred lines of useless text in
    one of your replies above has me pleasantly baffled.

    Good boy.

    John Doe, Jun 1, 2006
  9. John Doe wrote:
    > David Maynard <> wrote:
    >

    >>John Doe wrote:

    >>>Even different sentences for the exact same reply.

    >>I see it exceeded your comprehension abilities.

    > To see you actually snip a couple hundred lines of useless text in
    > one of your replies above has me pleasantly baffled.
    >
    > Good boy.

    Oh well, then it was all worth it.

    David Maynard, Jun 1, 2006
  10. "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message news:4K6fg.33585$4H.28718@dukeread03
    > "Folkert Rienstra" <> wrote in message news:447ca70f$0$14238$...
    > > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message> news:wkGeg.33425$4H.19174@dukeread03
    > >
    > > > XP will happily put the drive letter in the boot blocks for a FAT32 partition also,
    > > > when it a) formats it or b) when you reassign the drive letters in Disk Management.

    > > Oh? Never heard of that before. Any reference to that?
    > > AFAIK only LDM records driveletter info outside of Windows registry and it's not
    > > in the partition bootblocks.
    > >

    > I have a "mule" machine that I use for data recovery, virus scanning, et al.
    >
    > Its one FAT32 partition? Gets mapped as "E" in it, the other mule
    > machine, or even on my girlfriend's laptop when I use a USB case to get
    > access to it (a few large files that I really didn't want to waste a DVD for
    > ... )

    And this is to prove what exactly? (rhetorical question)

    > > > HOWEVER - If that partition is formatted in a 9X OS, then UNTIL you
    > > > touch it with Disk Manager, it stays in the "Oh, look - here's an open drive
    > > > letter. Let's stuff it in there!" mode.

    > > > Which *ahem* is what I said earlier.

    > > You did? Must have missed that too.
    > >

    > I'd have to dig it out - but yes, I had mentioned that there are
    > times that XP can enumerate just like 9X did.

    > But the other methods DO take precedence ...

    The "other" methods that you are still to give reference to .....

    Since I made a stronger case in another branch which you chose to ignore
    I'll assume that your drive letter writing to the partition boot blocks is
    just as bogus as your BIOS drive letters.

    Folkert Rienstra, Jun 8, 2006
  11. Howdy!

    > > > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message>

    partition also,

    Disk Management.

    > > > Oh? Never heard of that before. Any reference to that?
    > > > AFAIK only LDM records driveletter info outside of Windows registry

    and it's not
    > > > in the partition bootblocks.
    > > >

    > > I have a "mule" machine that I use for data recovery, virus

    scanning, et al.

    > > Its one FAT32 partition? Gets mapped as "E" in it, the other

    mule
    > > machine, or even on my girlfriend's laptop when I use a USB case to get
    > > access to it (a few large files that I really didn't want to waste a DVD

    for
    > > ... )

    > And this is to prove what exactly? (rhetorical question)

    That, somehow, the other machines all recognize it as E:, even
    without a D: present, EVEN THOUGH IT'S FAT32.

    Praytell how does it do that if it's not in the partition boot
    blocks?

    Now, a Win9X box stuffs it in the next available drive letter. But
    the XP boxes all presume it's E:, even with C: and W: as the only other
    visible drives.

    Not so rhetorical, is it?

    UNTIL you

    open drive

    > > > You did? Must have missed that too.
    > > >

    > > I'd have to dig it out - but yes, I had mentioned that there are
    > > times that XP can enumerate just like 9X did.

    > > But the other methods DO take precedence ...

    > The "other" methods that you are still to give reference to .....

    Setting the drive letter in the registry or in the boot blocks of
    the partition. Again, see my note about the FAT32 drive above. Until you
    can explain to me how the machines miss "D:" for this drive (although normal
    Win9X drives get D: on the same machines), I'd say that somewhere in the
    partition boot block this info is written. Where else could it be written
    for it to come up as E: on all those machines when first connected?

    > Since I made a stronger case in another branch which you chose to ignore
    > I'll assume that your drive letter writing to the partition boot blocks is
    > just as bogus as your BIOS drive letters.

    You know what assume is, don't you?

    And I probably phrased that badly - it's how the BIOS enumerates the
    primary partitions for those (which is about all I ever use nowadays), it's
    up to the OS to handle the logical drives in the extended partitions.

    And before you claim it doesn't - take a GOOD look at a machine that
    supports booting off of USB, and has one of those multimedia card readers
    attached. Stuff a bare drive in there, and install XP on it. Then tell me
    what drive letter that first hard disk got, m'kay?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 9, 2006