    Is there any advantage in formatting it in FAT 32 vs FAT 16? or vice
    versa? Somewhat OT, but guys in this NG know everything.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Bob Williams

    John Navas Guest

    Not a good reason.

    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Sure. As far as the OS is concerned it just another drive.
    FAT16 is limited to 2GB, so you would have to create 2 partitions to use the
    full 4GB. FAT32 can handle all 4GB as a single partition.
    OTOH some OS (i.e. Windows NT4 and earlier and Windows 95 and earlier) don't
    support FAT32.

    For more details than you ever wanted to know see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT16

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Bob Williams

    ray Guest

    Yes. The normal implementations of FAT16 are limited to 2gb.

    ray, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Bob Williams

    John Navas Guest

    2 GB can be exceeded with a larger sector size, as in certain M-O
    drives.

    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Bob Williams

    measekite Guest

    Yes there is. It can be used by almost any other computer OS.

    measekite, Feb 6, 2008
  7. Bob Williams

    ray Guest

    Fine - what part of "normal implementations" did you not understand?

    ray, Feb 6, 2008
  8. Bob Williams

    John Navas Guest

    What makes you think those aren't "normal implementations"?

    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008
  9. Bob Williams

    jean Guest

    Don't forget the number of different files on FAT16 with long file names is
    only 256, the limit on FAT32 is much higher, so THAT may be a good reason to
    format even a smaller thumb drive in FAT32.

    I have a digital fram with "only" 256Mb of internal memory, but by reducing
    the file resolution to the screen's resolution, I can pack much more than
    256 pictures in the internal memory, but only if I format it in FAT32.

    Jean

    jean, Feb 7, 2008
  10. Don't forget that this limitation applies to the root directory only. And
    that it applies to all root directory entries, including files with 8.3
    names in which case the limit is typically 512. It's just that long
    filenames use multiple directory entries and thus eat up space faster. And
    that FAT16 does support larger root directories, they just need to be
    configured at formatting time.

    In short: while your comment isn't completely wrong it is still seriously
    lacking in substance.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 7, 2008
  11. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    OK Guys, I got my answer and some education too.....as expected.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Feb 7, 2008
  12. Bob Williams

    Dave Cohen Guest

    The part where you failed to explain how to achieve such.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 8, 2008
  13. Bob Williams

    John Navas Guest

    Any UNIX workalike should be able to format sizes other than 512 bytes,
    including "Live" CD versions.

    Microsoft FAT specification: "Count of bytes per sector. This value may
    take on only the following values: 512, 1024, 2048 or 4096. ...
    Microsoft operating systems will properly support 1024, 2048, and 4096.

    John Navas, Feb 8, 2008