    then partition. So I can have xp on one and the other for data
    storage, or I could eventually put vista back on (if there is a
    compelling reason). Any ideas?

    lbbss, Feb 15, 2008

  2. lbbss

    Homenet Guest

    Personally I would scrap vista all together. Stick the xp cd in, boot
    from, format the drive and install (if the drive isnt detected its
    because of native SATA support in the bios) but if you want both then
    id use partition magic in vista, create a partition and then boot from
    the xp cd and install to it.

    Homenet, Feb 15, 2008

  3. lbbss

    sittingduck Guest

    I would ditch vista too. Delete all partitions, then create one ~20GB for
    windows.
    Once XP is up and running, move your documents folder off of C: and keep all
    your data and portable programs off of C:. Then if you ever want to
    reinstall, or restore drive images, it's a snap.

    sittingduck, Feb 15, 2008
  4. lbbss

    Pennywise Guest

    You can use Partition magic to partition the HD and not loose any
    data.

    Then you can have access to Vista while installing XP, then remove
    Vista. Always nice to have an OS you can boot into if something goes
    wrong.

    Pennywise, Feb 16, 2008