    accepted as having the requested serial number.

    It says put CD s# in drive or clean it.

    How do I identify which of my CDs it wants me to insert?

    NewB, Aug 30, 2004

  2. NewB

    A String Guest

    At what point is it asking you thins? What is the exact message you are
    getting? Could you write it down and then post it here?

    A String, Aug 30, 2004

  3. NewB

    NewB Guest

    It was when i was trying to install drivers for 'other' unidentified
    devices which had appeared in my system list with a question mark.

    It asked me to insert win98se CD which i did. then I inserted the MFG
    driver cds and kept searching for the one with the needed drivers

    Message was something like this:

    Error reading [cdrom? ] drive F:
    Please insert CD serial number xxxx-xxxx
    If cd is in drive, try cleaning it
    click [ok] when ready

    I finally got all/most of the drivers installed
    just 1 ! alert remaining afaik.. which was there on my initial build
    about a year ago.

    NewB, Aug 30, 2004
  4. NewB

    A String Guest

    I would recomend going to the website for the remaing hardware and
    downloading the newest driver for it. Then just run the install for the
    driver and it will set it up for you. No messing around with CDs.

    If you can't find the website, you will have to figure out which piece of
    hardware is missing and then locate the proper installation disk for it.
    Sometimes, once an installation has gone bad, you will need to point the
    computer to where the files are manually. Click on browse and go to the CD
    drive. Check there for the file you are missing.

    A String, Aug 30, 2004
  5. NewB

    PC Guest

    <quote>
    Please insert CD serial number xxxx-xxxx
    If cd is in drive, try cleaning it
    </quote>

    The number xxxx-xxxx you note above is the number of the Disk itself, not
    any serial number in the data on the disk.

    Your CD drive is having difficulty reading the CD (disk)

    This is caused by either
    a: a dirty or scratched disk,
    or,
    b: a CD drive that's not reading well.

    To fix, either, replace the drive or clean the disk! whichever is the cause.

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Aug 31, 2004