Force XP to start wireless at boot time...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by intrepid_dw, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. intrepid_dw

    intrepid_dw Guest

    All:

    Does anyone know of a configuration/registry setting that will force XP
    to select a specific wireless network at boot time?

    I have a wireless XP Pro box (with a hard-coded IP addy) that won't
    connect to the network until someone has logged in. I've been advised
    that's normal behavior to allow for the selection of wireless networks;
    for me, however, there's one and only one network to join. No one can
    remotely access the files on this box until someone has logged into it,
    which is a nuisance. I'd just like to force it to log into the proper
    network at boot time (just as it would with a conventional wired
    setup). Anyone tried running the network client as a service?

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    David

    intrepid_dw, Oct 28, 2005

  2. intrepid_dw

    GTS Guest

    I followed your other post on this. To my knowledge, what you want to do is
    not possible. However, if security is not a concern (It sounds like you
    normally leave it logged in?) you could automate the logon and make sure the
    proper wireless network is set as the preferred connection in the wireless
    driver. You can automate the logon by running control userpasswords2 or
    using TweakUI.

    GTS, Oct 28, 2005