    Is this where the 'route' command comes in?
    Any way of using both interfaces simutaneously to speed file copying
    between these machines further?

    Oldish Git, Nov 24, 2009

  2. Oldish Git

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Browsing to the PC by IP address (of the Firewire interface) instead of
    name should do the trick. (Probably a suitable name in the hosts file
    will work too.)
    I read that someone managed to do so by creating a suitable route - I'd
    guess to the Firewire IP via the Ethernet interface with a gateway of
    the Ethernet interface of the other machine, specifying the same metric
    as the route that is created by default. Whether this would work I don't
    know, and I'm sceptical of much/any advantage anyway, but worth a try...
    firewalls might get in the way so try with them disabled.

    Using the trick above would let you do two transfers with one going over
    each interface, but if both transfers involve a single physical drive on
    one or both ends there's a good chance it'll end up slower than doing
    them sequentially due to thrashing.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Nov 24, 2009

  3. Oldish Git

    Oldish Git Guest

    That worked great, Alex, many thanks.

    I used Map Network Drive, browsed to the drive, then replaced the
    computer name with the IP address of the Firewire interface at the
    other end before clicking Finish. Copying large files to/from the 2nd
    computer now averages over 25MB/s, which is fast enough, so I don't
    think I'll now bother trying to get it working using both interfaces
    simultaneously.

    Thanks again,

    Oldish Git, Nov 28, 2009