    this problem. Thanks.

    (I'm using IE6.0)

    Yong Huang

    yong321, Sep 10, 2007

  2. yong321

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:29:42 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    You could make your post less confising, perhaps not?
    Find out what the difference is betwen what you think those options do
    and what they really do.

    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/ie6/ie-3.shtml

    Having launched IE while running a packet sniffer before, the above
    seems to be what really happens. Ot doesn't appear to be looking at URLs
    from the day before.

    See also
    http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/comms/tempfiles.htm
    mentioned sometimes why you don't see updates.
    How do you know it's refreshed from the website, are you checking the
    traffic?

    Don't confuse back with refresh. Don't struggle with the many ways sites
    break the back button.
    If you are seeing the page, you don't need back or refresh. Unless you
    meant to say you went forward from page A to B, then expecting back to
    take you to A depends on page B.
    IE4 and 5 had issues, see if you can find a IE6 version of

    "Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages" Option Set to Automatic
    When you install Internet Explorer 5, the "Check for newer versions of
    stored pages" option is set to Automatic regardless of its setting in
    the previous ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q221/5/38.ASP - Similar
    pages

    Internet Explorer Does Not Check for Newer Versions of Web Pages
    Internet Explorer may not check for newer versions of pages stored in
    the temporary cache, even though you have selected the " Every visit to
    the page " or ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/201535 - Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    Me

    why?, Sep 10, 2007

  3. yong321

    yong321 Guest

    Thank you. The reason I think Back refreshes the page from the web
    server is that I enter some text in a text input box, click submit to
    go to the result page, Back, the inputted text is gone, as if that URL
    was just entered and page loaded. It happens half of the time. Since
    my Internet access is not very fast, when that happens, I can also
    tell the page (reached by pressing Back) takes a second or two to show
    up, instead of instantly when the problem doesn't happen. If needed, I
    can watch the traffic using a tool such as TCPView (a sniffer is an
    overkill for me).

    I need the feature that Back simply *locally* backs one page because I
    want faster page load and I want the previously entered text to still
    exist so I can do minimal change.

    Yong Huang

    yong321, Sep 11, 2007
  4. yong321

    why? Guest

    Ok so now you mention forms and text input and Back button.

    This is a good example of broken back button and the general
    misunderstanding of Back.

    You are interacting with scripts and forms that do different things to
    simply viewing a last page..
    This is a whole different thing, this depends on forms using POST or GET
    to manage variables, cookies what ever the server at the far end does.

    You should see a difference in the URL

    1 may be like

    /formdone.asp

    the other may be

    /formdone.asp?name=Yong&post=newdetails
    TCPView isn't a traffic watcher, it shows processes protocol and the
    endpoint addresses.
    A sniffer, or HTTP monitor of which there seem to be several would show
    you what's going on. Server logs are handy as well.
    Think again. Unless you knew what happening and asking makes that
    thought well.... you get the idea.

    If you don't control the backend server, the code you can't change
    what's happening.
    That's what's forms , cookies and sessions and knowing if an action has
    already taken place combined with databases is all about.

    Along with the misunderstanding of the Back button.
    Sounds like you should be paying me for doing your work, or spend some
    money on hiring someone that knows what they are doing.

    Me

    why?, Sep 11, 2007
  5. yong321

    yong321 Guest

    The only thing in your message that sounds relevant is "This is a good
    example of broken back button". Thanks anyway.

    In case you don't understand the question, experiment with different
    browsers. This has nothing to do with HTTP GET or POST methods. It's a
    browser feature. If you know the answer, explain why Firefox does not
    have this problem.

    In case you haven't used TCPView, try it and you'll know what I mean
    by watching the traffic. You only need to see whether there're packets
    going through the wire for my problem. In other words, I'm not
    concerned about the actual packet payload. That's what I mean by
    "sniffer is an overkill".

    Yong Huang

    yong321, Sep 12, 2007
  6. yong321

    why? Guest

    HTTP monitor.

    You don't need a feature that is broken on IE.
    Nope, you mentioned text in input boxes only on your 2nd post. How do
    you expect an answer if you forget to mention that the 1st time around?
    All my scripts, forms , xml html , js, asp are tested on different
    browsers. I wouldn't expect the back button to always work. I provide
    buttons on the forms to refresh data.

    You haven't provided a URL.

    I am not sitting here and looking for a suitable form that shows the
    issue you mention. You already decided where the fault is, ask MS to fix
    IE.
    FF is a better browser. I am sure although it used to have this issue
    and Opera is even better.
    Use it all the time, it doesn't show you what's happening with the data
    or what occurs when you press 'back'.

    You said "Back, the inputted text is gone," , TCPView won't show you
    where the back button is going to, what the data was on the form or
    what's missing when you say "text is gone".
    The packets could be anything, you don't know what they contain so you
    can't see why the data is missing or what's sent back when the page
    reload is attempted.

    After all your question was about "Back, the inputted text is gone", so
    not looking at what the form / script is doing isn't the answer.

    If you can't see what 1 browser is doing different, you can't see the
    problem and look for a fix.

    Different versions of IE IIRC did or didn't do this.
    You need to test it on another PC, to make sure it's not a single PC
    issue, check IE is upto date with patches, maybe clear cache, check
    autocomplete entries, server / client caching headers.

    Oddly enough a packet (http) sniffer should show if it's a cache issue,
    session expired or other issue in the broken IE.

    If it's cache and headers (server end) and some issue with IE you will
    need a packet (http) sniffer to record an IE and a FF session and see
    what happens.
    Me

    why?, Sep 12, 2007
  7. yong321

    why? Guest

    That's a lot of rubbish guess what.

    At work today Alteon Load balancer in front of 2 webservers. Login to
    application fails with IE6 (i.e. a username / password form) while it
    works with FF.

    A packet sniffer showed that the cookie is being lost in the return
    sniffer trace to IE so the session is lost. In the return sniffer trace
    to FF the cookie is still there.

    IE directly to the server works, so another cause could be a proxy is
    not maintaining the session id for the form return. But again is broken
    in IE with the load balancer so far.
    Me

    why?, Sep 13, 2007