for whom the bells toll..win98..ME

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006

  2. ellis_jay

    elaich Guest

    elaich, Jun 17, 2006

  3. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    uh---riiiight!

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006
  4. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    Sorry I forgot:

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1977870,00.asp

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006
  5. ellis_jay

    Vanguard Guest

    This is considered news? Geez, Microsoft has had their lifecycle page
    for years now (www.microsoft.com/lifecycle, navigate to your particular
    product of concern). Mainstream support for Windows 98 died back in
    2002, and the note said that extended support (that you pay for) will
    end in a month. Mainstream support for Windows ME died back in 2003,
    and extended support dies in a month. I'm using Windows XP Professional
    and its mainstream support is scheduled to die 2 years after Vista gets
    released.

    Vanguard, Jun 17, 2006
  6. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    One man's queen is another man's sweat hog. I got winxp home so I don't
    have to worry. But there are some die-hard 98 users out there. My dad
    still uses ME as does my brother in law. So, yes, it may be mews for some.
    At least winxpnewsdot com thought so and so do I. So there!

    *pokes-out-his-tongue*
    -------and *grinz*

    ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006
  7. I used to have a thing for Debralee Scott, and she *was* a Sweathog
    -- the first season of "Welcome Back Kotter". :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 17, 2006
  8. ellis_jay

    thanatoid Guest

    a.
    WHAT support?
    Anything worth knowing is on hundreds of tweak sites all over
    the place. Regrettably, rarely in "help" NG's.

    b.
    If sheep could think:

    "Hmmm... I battled with 98... ME was a nightmare... XP is daily
    updates and patches and M$ telling me to TURN OFF essential
    parts of the system just to be safe... And I still get viruses
    all the time... Yes, I'd better get Vista the day it comes
    out... It WILL be the safest system ever - Bill says so! And I
    KNOW I will be a better person for it... Oh, and better get the
    Vista Office right away too... I know I will type faster and
    write better... And I can't wait to check out Clippy's new
    outfits and amusing sayings for when I'm REALLY working hard..."

    Sigh...

    thanatoid, Jun 17, 2006
  9. Hopefully, you mean you receive them in emails or something similar.

    Hopefully, you do NOT mean you get yourself *infected* with them all the
    time. If you do, you are still doing something wrong.

    If the former, that has nothing to do with _you_ practicing Safe Hex,
    but everything to do with "your friends" and their computers (you're in
    the address book, for example). No a-v software is going to prevent
    other people from getting infected and sending you viruses.

    Just wanted to clear that up... :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 17, 2006
  10. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    Sandra Bullock removes my wrinkles!! Natalie Wood until she drowned *cry*.
    Nah! I'd still jump her bones!! lol

    ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006
  11. ellis_jay

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Beauregard T. Shagnasty spewed forth:
    Yeah - I was going to say the same thing. I have in my control at work and
    at home over 50 computers, running anything from Windows 3.1 to XP Pro. Not
    ONE of them has had a virus infection in the last 6 years, since I took over
    the network security.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 17, 2006
  12. ellis_jay

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In ellis_jay spewed forth:
    Uh oh - don't get me started on S.B. She's MINE, I tell ya, all MINE. You
    CAN'T have her <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 17, 2006
  13. ellis_jay

    elaich Guest

    Which proves that your problems are not with the OS, but the user. Anyone
    who still gets viruses all the time isn't doing things correctly.

    elaich, Jun 17, 2006
  14. I saw her first. Remember -- I work in Hollywood and live in North
    Hollywood, so the signals got to me first. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 17, 2006
  15. ellis_jay

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    Damn damn damn...I never get lucky <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 17, 2006
  16. ellis_jay

    joevan Guest

    Sorry but she is taken. Alas, too bad for all us horny romantic guys.

    joevan, Jun 17, 2006
  17. ellis_jay

    joevan Guest

    joevan, Jun 17, 2006
  18. ellis_jay

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Jun 17, 2006
  19. ellis_jay

    thanatoid Guest

    JEEZ. Did you guys even read what I wrote?

    "if sheep could think"

    I may be a sheep of sorts, but that was complete prattle> I have
    personally never touched a M$ OS beyond 98SE and I never will.
    And I wrote that little sarcastic comment on the compu-sumer
    herd before I even read some of today's comments about another
    not-so-minor-issue (unless you buy computer accessories the way
    some women buy shoes), and that is hardware drivers.

    Look up "satire". OK, it may have been a rather poor attempt at
    one, but it just KILLS me that everyone is talking about Vista
    like it was a gift from the heavens instead of another very
    expensive and very annoying nightmare from the overlords. With
    NO point to it whatsoever.

    BTW, the only virus *I* ever got WAS in an email from a clueless
    OE using friend, and it did nothing since I have all scripting
    files removed.

    And WHAT the hell is that Sandra Bullock stuff that follows in
    the thread???

    thanatoid, Jun 17, 2006
  20. ellis_jay

    Pennywise Guest