For the duck

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Jan 17, 2014.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Jan 17, 2014

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    this was the explanation given to me at the antique car museum in Ft.
    Lauderdale.

    I did not make this video, but the guy explaining the origin is the
    curator of the museum. As you can tell the term "paddy wagon," wsa used
    by the police. Though the origin of the name is uncertain, it is
    generally considered to be American..

    <>

    The museum was an interesting place to visit, even if the photo ops were
    not to my taste. I spent a few hours there. You and many other
    affictinodos could easily spend a full day, and come back the next.

    PeterN, Jan 17, 2014

  3. PeterN

    Tim Conway Guest

    hmmm. memories...I've sat in the back of one or two Ford Crown Victoria
    Police Interceptors over the years. I always thought they were nice cars,
    but with all the protective armor, not very comfortable for overweight
    people of interest like me. LOL.

    Tim

    Tim Conway, Jan 17, 2014
  4. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    What I've never understood is how a police person manages to sit in
    less than total discomfort in any police vehicle. With all that stuff
    I see on their belts, something has to be prodding and poking them any
    way they squirm around.

    I think this is why they make as many traffic stops as they do. They
    don't think a burned out taillight is that much of a problem, but they
    want to get out of the car.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 18, 2014
  5. PeterN

    Tim Conway Guest

    Haaaa! And not to mention all the electronic gadgets like laptops and
    etc...If I were wearing all that stuff on my belt, my pants would be
    dragging. Much worse than any camera bag I ever carried. LOL.

    Also,;; when I was in the rear of one, I didn't notice any unpleasant smells
    or other nasties to the officer's credit or the garage's credit.

    Tim

    Tim Conway, Jan 18, 2014
  6. PeterN

    Tim Conway Guest

    Yep. That's another credit to the patience and long suffering of a good
    many officers in keeping their cool under those conditions. I think I would
    get quite a bit angry.

    Tim

    Tim Conway, Jan 18, 2014
  7. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    You have no idea of just how uncomfortable a duty belt weighted down
    : with a pistol, at least two spare magazines, one & sometimes two pairs
    : of handcuffs, an OC pepper spray canister, sometimes a taser, a loop
    : for a side-handle baton (or a monadnock expandable baton in its
    : holster), and a radio, can be. A day wearing that load can leave you
    : with a very real backache. Add to that a ballistic vest, then try
    : running while wearing that lot.
    :
    : I was thankful when I didn't have to carry that load of equipment on a
    : regular basis. That was a huge incentive for promotion and getting out
    : of uniform.

    Yup! Next time I'm decked out for an event with two cameras, two flashes,
    battery pack, spare batteries, etc., I'll force myself to remember that it
    could be a LOT worse! ;^)

    BTW, our cops don't usually appear to be quite as burdened down as you
    describe. Has more modern equipment improved the situation in the time since
    you retired?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 18, 2014
  8. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Something like this?

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AntiGun-Rally/i-rZ4Xzrf/0/X2/2013-07-17-12-X2.jpg

    Tony Cooper, Jan 18, 2014
  9. PeterN

    J. Clarke Guest

    J. Clarke, Jan 18, 2014
  10. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

  11. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I seldom see an officer with only one phone. I don't know if the
    second phone is personal or one on a different band-width. They also
    have a shoulder mike/earpiece.

    There's a local female officer who must have met the minimum height
    standard by moussing her hair. I don't see how she manages with all
    that stuff.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 18, 2014
  12. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    While the vehicle is certainly called a Paddy Wagon by many, some call
    it the Black Maria (pronounced like it is in "They Call The Wind
    Maria). Like Paddy Wagon, there are several stories about the source
    of the name...none that can proven. One story is that a "brawny
    American negress" who kept a boarding house in Boston frequently
    called the police to take away unruly boarders. Her name was Maria
    Lee. Another story attributes it to a racehorse named Black Maria who
    was famous in the 1830s.

    Whatever the source of the name, I'm glad that I never had occasion to
    be a passenger in one.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 18, 2014
  13. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:46:57 -0600, George Kerby
    :
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : >On 1/17/14 5:09 PM, in article
    : >[email protected], "Savageduck"
    : >
    : >> On 2014-01-17 22:33:43 +0000, PeterN <> said:
    : >>
    : >>> On 1/17/2014 4:41 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    : >>>> On 2014-01-17 20:45:46 +0000, PeterN <> said:
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> these are just snapshots, and never will be more. However, I shot this
    : >>>>> one to remind the Duck of his profession.
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20140117_Pompano Packard
    : >>>>> Museum_6287.jpg>
    : >>
    : >>
    : >> Not
    : >>
    : >> much
    : >>>>>
    : >>>> Irish in this lad. My wife's family on the other hand had a pretty
    : >>>> solid "Orange" connection, with a grandfather who was a surgeon in the
    : >>>> Royal Ulster constabulary.
    : >>> this was the explanation given to me at the antique car museum in Ft.
    : >>> Lauderdale.
    : >>>
    : >>> I did not make this video, but the guy explaining the origin is the
    : >>> curator of the museum. As you can tell the term "paddy wagon," wsa used
    : >>> by the police. Though the origin of the name is uncertain, it is
    : >>> generally considered to be American..
    : >>>
    : >>>
    : >>> <>
    : >>
    : >> I guess that is one version of the origin of "Paddy Wagon". There seem
    : >> to be two versions, the one given in that video, and the one based on
    : >> the large percentage of police in early American police forces having
    : >> Irish heritage.
    : >>
    : >Interesting. The way I heard it from an Irishman from the Bronx, whose
    : >father, and grand-father were NYFD, was that it was a 'slur' to The Irish
    : >immigrants, who were usually the occupants or 'guests' of said vehicles, as
    : >they were on their way to overnight facilities because of overconsumption of
    : >adult beverages. The often maligned Irish were judged to be 'drunks' by the
    : >police and others, and the popular Irish name "Paddy" was a generalization
    : >for the population of Irish in and around The Big Apple, much like the
    : >unfair stereotype of other groups like the Jews and Mexicans. So the vehicle
    : >was known originally as "Paddy's Wagon". Don't know how much of it is truth,
    : >but it sounds good, LOL!

    I think it's widely believed in the Boston area that "paddy wagon" was a slur
    against the Irish (which is consistent with what the museum curator in the
    video said). I remember my dad advising me that the term should be avoided for
    that reason.

    : While the vehicle is certainly called a Paddy Wagon by many, some call
    : it the Black Maria (pronounced like it is in "They Call The Wind
    : Maria). Like Paddy Wagon, there are several stories about the source
    : of the name...none that can proven. One story is that a "brawny
    : American negress" who kept a boarding house in Boston frequently
    : called the police to take away unruly boarders. Her name was Maria
    : Lee. Another story attributes it to a racehorse named Black Maria who
    : was famous in the 1830s.

    My recollection is that where I grew up (Mississippi), "Black Mariah" was a
    slang term for "hearse". (Note the spelling. I thought that's also how they
    spelled the wind's name in "Paint Your Wagon", but a quick Google search
    reveals ambiguity on that point.)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 19, 2014
  14. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 16:52:31 -0800, Savageduck
    : >:
    : >: I was thankful when I didn't have to carry that load of equipment on a
    : >: regular basis. That was a huge incentive for promotion and getting out
    : >: of uniform.
    : >
    : >Yup! Next time I'm decked out for an event with two cameras, two flashes,
    : >battery pack, spare batteries, etc., I'll force myself to remember that it
    : >could be a LOT worse! ;^)
    : >
    : Something like this?
    :
    : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AntiGun-Rally/i-rZ4Xzrf/0/X2/2013-07-17-12-X2.jpg

    You've showed that picture a couple of times before, and I still have a lot of
    difficulty believing that all that stuff is his. Maybe he's serving as a pack
    animal for a group of photographers from some publication. I sometimes think
    I'm carrying too much stuff, but I'm not in the same class with him.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 19, 2014
  15. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    While a good story, it can be taken either way. In the early 20th
    Century when there were Paddy Wagons on the streets of NYC, the
    policemen in them would have likely been Irish. Most policemen were.
    So, it could be Paddy's Wagon for the driver, not the passenger.

    "Paddy", of course, is a nickname for Patrick, but the Irish version
    of Patrick is Padraic or Padraig...which are pronounced closer to
    "porrig".
    Sounds reasonable, but in an article about Thomas Edison's first movie
    production studio - called the Black Maria - in 1893, it says:

    "The Black Maria was, according to the staff who worked there, a small
    and uncomfortable place to work. Edison employees W. K. Dickson and
    Jonathan Campbell coined the nameā€”it reminded them of police Black
    Marias, (police vans, also known as "paddywagons") of the time because
    they were also cramped, stuffy and a similar black color. Edison,
    however, called it 'The Doghouse.'"

    There are many terms like Paddywagon and Black Maria that have several
    different claims made about them regarding the term's origination.
    The Kingston Trio version is the iconic version for me. They claim,
    in this video, to be the first to record it, and they spell it
    "Maria".

    The name "Maria", for the wind, came to Lerner and Lowe in the musical
    from a popular book written in 1941 by George Rippey Stewart
    ("Storm"). That book also inspired US military meteorologists to
    start naming storms after women. That's how we got Hurricane Sandy.

    In 1979, men's names were added. The hurricane following Sandy would
    have been Hurricane Tony. "Hurricane Tony" turned out to be just a
    tropical storm and never affected any land areas.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 19, 2014
  16. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Jan 19, 2014
  17. I've seen close to that, and that guy is certainly obsessive about
    lenses. I see two cameras clearly, but there could be a third and a
    fourth- excessive, but not unbelievable....

    Now I travel a lot lighter than I did even five years ago.

    John McWilliams, Jan 19, 2014
  18. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 1/18/14 PDT, 9:01 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:52:19 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    :
    : > : >Yup! Next time I'm decked out for an event with two cameras, two flashes,
    : > : >battery pack, spare batteries, etc., I'll force myself to remember that it
    : > : >could be a LOT worse! ;^)
    : > : >
    : > : Something like this?
    : > :
    : > : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AntiGun-Rally/i-rZ4Xzrf/0/X2/2013-07-17-12-X2.jpg
    : >
    : > You've showed that picture a couple of times before, and I still have a lot of
    : > difficulty believing that all that stuff is his. Maybe he's serving as a pack
    : > animal for a group of photographers from some publication. I sometimes think
    : > I'm carrying too much stuff, but I'm not in the same class with him.
    :
    : I've seen close to that, and that guy is certainly obsessive about
    : lenses. I see two cameras clearly, but there could be a third and a
    : fourth- excessive, but not unbelievable....

    Not unbelievable, but hardly sensible. The event is an anti-gun rally, where
    the actions of the participants could go in almost any direction. The last
    thing you want is to be changing lenses when something interesting or
    newsworthy happens. So it stands to reaon that most of those lenses and lens
    cases are mainly for show - whether that was the intention or not.

    : Now I travel a lot lighter than I did even five years ago.

    It's an endless battle, because equipment (particularly lenses) keeps getting
    bigger and heavier.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 19, 2014
  19. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I had one shot of the guy, and then he disappeared into the crowd. So,
    I don't know if he was packing for others or a photographer on his
    own. I can't imagine what group of photographers there would be.

    It was a planned demonstration, but the media interest was
    local...mostly TV people.

    As you say, it was an anti-gun rally spurred by the Travon Martin
    shooting.

    Here's another shot of photographers. The one in the gray shirt is a
    fellow camera club member of mine who is a professional freelance
    photojournalist. Just a few weeks before this event, he had a serious
    medical problem, and had to give up his regular dslr for a lighter
    one.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AntiGun-Rally/i-ptjMtJ6/0/X2/2013-07-17-19-X2.jpg

    And, my human emotion shot of the day:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AntiGun-Rally/i-nrQp8Ns/0/X2/2013-07-17-26-X2.jpg