    From: "ArtKramr" <>
    Msg-ID: <>
    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:50 AM EDT
    Subject: Let's get moderated.

    Steve Young, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Steve Young

    zxcvbob Guest

    There's no need for moderating; there already is a rec.photo.moderated.

    Is all the noise still going on? Just curious. I have 99+ percent of it
    filtered out.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Steve Young

    Lucas Tam Guest

    I don't think the group has gotten to the point where moderation is needed.
    My killfile has worked pretty well to remove most of the crap : )

    Moderation slows down replies and kills the dynamics of the group. However,
    if it does get any worse in rec.photo.digital (i.e. more loonie's show up),
    I wouldn't mind moderation.

    But basically... moderation at the moment is an overkill.

    Lucas Tam, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    I wasn't necessarily soliciting opinions outside of the cited thread,
    thiugh I guess, if you feel so inclined, have at it ;)
    No, not at the moment, we've been fortunate to strike a truce, at least
    temporarily, so we can all catch our breaths.

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    I'm with you 1000% on normally moderated groups
    Though let me note Lucas, there is a method termed retro-moderation, where
    everything is exactly the same as we have here, except, there is a switch that
    can be used to delete posts, if ever needed.

    I would encourage anyone interested in this newsgroup's business, to mark and
    read the cited thread.

    Thanks,
    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Steve Young

    zxcvbob Guest

    That doesn't work for newsgroups; a lot of servers do not honor cancel
    commands.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Steve Young

    Canopus Guest

    Hi All, I've not long plugged into this newsgroup and what I see is no
    different to most other ones. What always amazes me though is when a
    spammer or obscene plonker posts something with such obvious subject line
    which alerts you to it being spam or obscenity people actually bother to
    open, read it and then make a big fuss about it. What is this, some kind of
    masochism? I just never bother opening it and just kill file the obvious.
    Remember, these guys are just pathetic, psychically damaged, attention
    seekers; don't give them what they want.

    Keep well all

    Rob

    Canopus, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Steve Young

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <blnfaa$dg5om$-berlin.de>
    I agree 100%

    Anyway, if the group was to be moderated who would want to take the
    job on ? The number of posts I see here it would be almost a full-time job !

    Perhaps it's time to split the group though ? General, P&S and SLR ?

    Barry

    Barry Smith, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Steve Young

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Can we just amend the charter? Maybe clear up some of the vagueness and add
    some clauses to prevent annoyances?

    Lucas Tam, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Who do you propose will moderate the 1,000s of posts that are posted on
    rec.photo.*

    Darrell Larose, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Steve Young

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It's still coming but my filters are getting most of the stuff trashed.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 5, 2003
  12. Come on, Steve. Death with dignity is serious business. Hunger in the world
    is serious business. This is just a newsgroup.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Oct 5, 2003
  13. Serious business? Gawd, now some of you people are getting more
    annoying than the original idiot twit.

    Ignore him, delete his post, killfile him, whatever...just stop being
    such a tool! Even the most mentally challenged moron will get tired of
    this game eventually. So what!...some fu*king no-life, inbred retard
    has to compensate for a small penis by "imposing his will" an a
    newgroup. You should all feel sorry for any individual that attempts
    to impower himself by posting fifth- grade swear words.

    By running around in a panic that's exactly what you're doing;
    impowering him. Grow the hell up people!

    Judy Likes Monkey Love, Oct 5, 2003
  14. Steve, I've been meaning to tell you you're a border-line TROLL.

    mark_digital©, Oct 5, 2003
  15. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    Though my AT&T server honors cancels, I believe you're right about many other
    servers not honoring them. This weakness probably causes retro-moderation to
    fall short of its billing and possibly cause more confusion than it could
    solve.
    Though we can't specifically amend our charter, we could essentially do it by
    ratifying a FAQ that contains the updating we choose. This is something this
    group really needs to do as our charter falls considerably short of the useful
    constitution it should provide. But with that said, it would have had no
    bearing, that I can see, on the troll attack we just weathered.

    And yes, I agree, a regularly moderated newsgroup is not worth considering
    because you loose the snap, crackle, pop that makes any vibrant group, such as
    this, so much fun. You loose immediacy and I know that holds the prospect of
    stealing a lot of the funny out of a fair amount of my joking. ;)

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 5, 2003
  16. Steve Young

    Robertwgross Guest

    You mean (gasp) that it is over? Yippee.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 5, 2003
  17. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    I don't suppose any one will, because a moderated group does not work for this
    type newsgroup.

    If retro-moderated would work correctly, in all cases, the switch could be
    left fallow until a problem, such as we just encountered, called for its use.
    Then, a board of the newsgroup's users would simply engage a bot. But because
    of the anomalies with the cancel command, this wouldn't work very well So I
    guess, we gots what we gots (bible thumpers need not apply;) :(

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 5, 2003
  18. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    not *too bad*, considering the number of full fledged trolls we have ;)

    Steve Young, Oct 5, 2003
  19. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    *yep!* scardy cats can come out now :)))

    Steve Young, Oct 5, 2003
  20. Steve Young

    George Kerby Guest

    Hope you're right. What sort of treaty did you set up?

    George Kerby, Oct 5, 2003