Floppy Drive Keeps Chattering

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Harold MacDavid, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Seems like a recent development, although I can't imagine which
    software would cause these symptoms.

    During boot up there was always a searching-clatter on the A:\
    floppy drive [as I recall on this old 'puter - it's an 802
    hurts/mega/bunch PIII running WinXPpro].

    Now it's taken to doing that clatter-dance quite frequently. Of
    course, I have made sure that it's clear of obstructions, etc., to
    the best of my abilities, that is. It sounds like it's searching
    for a floppy disk when I launch my newsreaders, launch my mail
    reader, sometimes when I launch my firewall GUI, etc. Also, it
    clatters momentarily whenever I'm multi-tasking - like when I'm
    downloading a file in the background, and then when I click a link
    from a news-article, the floopy will go to just a'clattering for a
    moment. The little light flashes, and then it stops.

    Can't seem to run down the perp. AV, AntiTroj, Spy and Adware
    checks come up all clean.

    Hoping someone with a couple of daze in 'puter years has come
    across this similar and been able to resolve it and can pass on the
    cure or the procedure?

    Many thanks, and happy holidays to all.

    The H-Mac
    --
    (wit a floppy dat go "clickedy-clack")

    <sorry, i just couldn't resist>

    <and I can't find anyone hiding around here with one of those
    spinning-clacker-thangies that you use for parties and New Year
    celebrations - 'Made in China' technology, I believe>

    Harold MacDavid, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Harold MacDavid

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Er....go into BIOS and turn off floppy search?

    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Harold MacDavid

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Floppy seek I mean.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Harold MacDavid

    °Mike° Guest

    Right click on the task bar, choose 'Properties' and go to
    the 'Start Menu Programs' tab. In the 'Documents menu'
    section, press the 'Clear' button.

    Open the System Properties control panel (WINDOWS key + PAUSE/BREAK),
    and go to the 'Performance' tab. Click on 'File System / Floppy Disk'.
    Uncheck 'Search for new floppy disk drives.....'

    °Mike°, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Harold MacDavid

    me Guest

    Here are some of the most common causes of floppy disk access:

    1 Anti-virus program set to scan on boot or at a pre-determined interval.

    2 Disable Office FindFast: You can remove it with msconfig, or remove
    "FindFast" from your startup folder.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q158705&

    3 Clear Recent documents history. Right-click a blank spot on the taskbar,
    "Properties", "Start Menu Programs" tab, "Clear" button.

    4 Windows98/Control panel/System/Performance/File System/Floppy disk
    uncheck the search for new floppy disk option.

    me, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Harold MacDavid

    M Mullen Guest

    |> Seems like a recent development, although I can't imagine which
    |> software would cause these symptoms.
    |>
    |> During boot up there was always a searching-clatter on the A:\
    |> floppy drive [as I recall on this old 'puter - it's an 802
    |> hurts/mega/bunch PIII running WinXPpro].
    |>
    |> Now it's taken to doing that clatter-dance quite frequently. Of
    |> course, I have made sure that it's clear of obstructions, etc., to
    |> the best of my abilities, that is. It sounds like it's searching
    |> for a floppy disk when I launch my newsreaders, launch my mail
    |> reader, sometimes when I launch my firewall GUI, etc. Also, it
    |> clatters momentarily whenever I'm multi-tasking - like when I'm
    |> downloading a file in the background, and then when I click a link
    |> from a news-article, the floopy will go to just a'clattering for a
    |> moment. The little light flashes, and then it stops.
    |>
    |> Can't seem to run down the perp. AV, AntiTroj, Spy and Adware
    |> checks come up all clean.
    |>
    |> Hoping someone with a couple of daze in 'puter years has come
    |> across this similar and been able to resolve it and can pass on the
    |> cure or the procedure?
    |>
    |> Many thanks, and happy holidays to all.

    This can/will happen if a program you've used has saved to A:\ , it will first
    access A:\ when started, until the save path has changed.

    Do a registry search for A:\ see what you find.

    M Mullen, Dec 17, 2003