Flipped canoe with expensive camera in backpack- Lens cleaning?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DoubleL, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. DoubleL

    DoubleL Guest

    Water spot on the lens of a camera.

    My camera and I fell into a lake while canoeing. After an attempt to
    dessicate the camera, there remained a water spot the size of a pea in
    the middle of the lens. I sent the camera to Canon to get the spot
    cleaned, and a month and a half later it was sent back, with pictures
    of the internal corrosion and a claim that nothing could be done. The
    camera works fine, the zoom lens works perfectly, the pictures are
    fine, except that in every picture, there is a fuzzy spot in the middle
    of the picture. The corrosion is minimal.

    How should I clean the spot off the lens? Can I find dissasembly
    instructions for the camera somewhere? Can someone reccommend a company
    that can fix this sort of a problem?

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
    Lauryn

    DoubleL, Aug 14, 2006

  2. DoubleL

    Pat Guest

    What type of camera/lens. I assume it isn't a dSLR.

    A few thoughts. First, assume the camera is broken beyond repair.
    Therefore, there's nothing worse that you can do to it?. So, are you
    game for a little DIY camera repair? That's likely your best answer.
    In some ways it is very fulfilling. When you get done you can say, hey
    I fixed it myself. Of course if you screw it up, you throw it out
    because that's the likely alternative, anyway.

    For some problems, just drying the camera out is the solution. But
    even that won't work for you because you'll then have residue on the
    lens (in all likelihood).

    Did you talk to anyone at Canon. Why wouldn't they fix it? If they
    had it apart, I can't understand why they didn't call/email you and say
    that you had corrosion and give you the option of fixing it anyway.
    Maybe a call to the factory service center might help. The send it in
    and say "fix it anyway". Seems to me that if they wouldn't fix it,
    they think it is beyond repair.

    Good luck with it.

    Pat, Aug 14, 2006

  3. DoubleL

    Studio271 Guest

    Could you get us a picture of the, erm, lens?.... wait... uhhh.. sorry.
    :-(

    Most cameras I've seen are held together with screws (good thing, too,
    because disassembling and reassembling gear without screws SUCKS), so
    would you be willing to try taking it apart sans instructions? As long
    as you give it all of your attention when doing so, and are sure not to
    take risky moves while doing so, you should be able to get to the lens
    and put it back together safely after cleaning it.

    ....might want to wait for responses from others, but I wouldn't have
    been afraid to do that before even sending it to Canon, myself. It's
    just me, though.

    -Drew

    Studio271, Aug 14, 2006
  4. DoubleL

    verity Guest

    The repair people probably determined the cost of disassembling the
    camera and lens, cleaning or replacing the spotted element, then
    reassembling and getting everything in proper alignment and adjustment
    was as much or more than the cost of replacing the camera.

    Unfortunately, modern design and production methods that get the
    purchase price down tend to come at the expense of repairability. Seems
    a waste and a shame when in a situation such as yours.

    Good luck.

    verity, Aug 14, 2006
  5. Don't you have insurance of any sort? Mein Got!

    Dennis Pogson, Aug 14, 2006
  6. Check into your household insurance. The camera may be covered.
    EJ in NJ

    Ernie Willson, Aug 14, 2006
  7. DoubleL

    Marvin Guest

    <snip>
    Seems like a practical decision. Making cameras is an
    assembly line operation with cheap, semi-skilled labor.
    Repairs are done by better-paid, skilled workers.

    The original post didn't give the model or age of the
    camera. For the cost of repairs, it is quite possible that
    a much better, new camera could be bought now. Or one with
    the same ccapabilities could be bought for much less than
    the cost of repairs. I recently replaced a 4-year-old
    digicam with one with 2/3 more pixels, a 6X zoom instead of
    3X, and better color rendition, for half the price I paid
    for the old one. And it is smaller and lighter, and has
    image stabilization. It also takes better videos.

    Marvin, Aug 14, 2006
  8. DoubleL

    DoubleL Guest

    the newer version of the camera is still more expensive, and the camera
    I have now still works fine so isn't it somewhat of a waste simply
    buying another camera? Just a thought..

    Lauryn

    DoubleL, Aug 14, 2006
  9. DoubleL

    DoubleL Guest

    good advice, I might as well try to fix it...

    DoubleL, Aug 14, 2006
  10. DoubleL

    DoubleL Guest

    Where could I find instructions on taking it apart? I'm willing to try
    with detailed instructions...

    DoubleL, Aug 14, 2006
  11. DoubleL

    ColinD Guest

    I doubt that a spot on the lens will produce a spot in the image. Any
    spot or imperfection on a lens is so far out of focus that it does not
    show in the image, unless it is major enough to cause flare, or an
    overall loss of quality.

    A spot in the middle of the picture is more suggestive of a damaged
    sensor, maybe water under the anti-aliasing filter, or water damage to
    the Bayer matrix itself.

    I imagine the cost of repairs would exceed the cost of another camera.

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Aug 14, 2006
  12. DoubleL

    Roy G Guest

    Hi

    The mark on the lens would cause an overall degradation on the image, not a
    spot.

    As I said in an earlier thread, I have a Tamron lens which has a quarter
    inch chip out of the front element, and it still takes sharp pictures.

    Your spot is more likely to be a result of water damage to the electronics.

    If Canon say there is internal corrosion, then it has a terminal condition,
    and spending anything on repairs would be a complete waste of money.

    Trying to clean it yourself will probably turn out to be a waste of time,
    but you have nothing to lose.

    The camera is a goner no matter what you do.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 15, 2006