Flatbed scanner recommendations for scanning film

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Levison, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Mark Levison

    Mark Levison Guest

    I'm looking for a flatbed scanner to scan 35mm slides and negatives
    (occasionally even artwork). In a perfect world I would buy a Nikon
    Coolscan 4000, but with our first baby on that much money just isn't
    an option. Even Canon's option is just too expensive at $1000 (CDN)

    I was considering an Epson Perfection 3170, but a few people have
    complained about soft focus problems. In addition its on VueScan's
    unsupported list. The Epson 3200 at $579 (CDN) is a still a bit
    expensive.

    My needs:
    - 48 bits color
    - at least 2400 x 2400 dpi
    - DMax 3.3+
    - Focuses properly on the slide holder
    - Compatible with VueScan
    - Price < $400 (CDN)

    Please share your recommendations or pointers to reviews written
    for/by photographers.

    Thanks
    Mark Levison

    Mark Levison, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Mark Levison

    kay Guest

    Flatbeds? None, really. Check out the Minolta Dimage's, you'll find
    excellent $500 machines.

    kay, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Mark Levison

    Azzz1588 Guest

    No problems here with mine. I've been happily scanning slides at 6400 dpi
    and having no problems. No soft focus problems at all !!

    Same with all the photo's and negitives I've been scanning.

    Azzz1588, Sep 12, 2003