    I'm itching to buy a new monitor but want to be sure I get the best I can
    afford.
    Thanks.

    rfdjr1, Jun 16, 2005

  2. rfdjr1

    Pat Guest

    : I'm trying to narrow down choices for an LCD monitor. I'm looking at a
    couple of
    : Samsung. Just wondering what the opinion of some of the readers are of
    Samsung.
    :
    : Also, the ones I'm looking at are in the 700:1 and 800:1 range on
    contrast, and
    : 250 to 260CD range on brightness, with 24ms response times, except for one
    : model, the 915N, which claims an 8ms response timeusing Samsungs Magic
    Speed.

    I just bought the 930B. AFAIK, it replaced the 915. Great monitor. I got it
    from Best Buy for $404.49 and it had a $50 rebate.

    :
    : My other question is analog/digital connections. My computer currently has
    an
    : ATI Radeon 9200 AGP graphics card to which my CRT monitor is hooked up.
    What
    : kind of connection would this be? It's what I would call a basic, old
    fashioned
    : monitor hookup to the card (9 pin?) What is involved if I want a digital
    : connection in the future? A new video card? Is digital much better than
    analog
    : on a connection? I know in general, digital anything beats out analog
    anything.

    Yes, if you want to run it on digital, you will need a new video card. As
    the 930B does not come with a digital cable, I am running it on the analog
    side. My advice: buy it and use it as analog and see what you think before
    spending the extra money for a digital graphics card and digital cable. This
    monitor is great just the way it is! You can always get the card and cable
    later, but, right now, it is a great monitor even on analog.

    One other thing: Best Buy has two tier pricing. In store, the price was
    $429.99 but on their website it was $408.49. I went in the store and asked
    for the website price. The salesman said it was "never done", but I then
    asked to speak to a manager and he quickly said, "Sure, we'll price match
    that to make you happy!" If you go into the store without knowing their
    website price, they will charge you the store price. And, if you ask the
    clerk for the website price, he'll say, "Let's just double check that." and
    go to an instore computer which will supposedly connect you to their
    website. On this bogus setup, their website price was $429.99. If I had
    not just checked the price before driving to the store, that would have
    thrown me off. I wouldn't have known about this dual pricing if I had not
    read an article in PC Magazine, I think it was.

    Pat

    Pat, Jun 16, 2005

  3. rfdjr1

    a Guest

    Honestly...

    Look @ the Sony 23" Wide with a Nvidia 9800GT Ultra..

    It's some $$$$ but it's worth it..

    If not lower to a 9600GT with a 21" sony.. So sharp it will cut you...

    Keep with sony and nvidia..

    I was a ATI extremist back when the rage pro where big. However
    nvidia blows the socks off ati nowadays.. Check out their websites for
    assurance...

    a, Jun 16, 2005
  4. rfdjr1

    FML Guest

    Couple of things:

    1. No such thing as Nvidia 9800GT Ultra or a 9600GT (models are 6800 and
    6600 respectively). If you're gonna recommend stuff, get your facts
    straight otherwise you are just going to confuse people.

    2. Nvidia does not blow the socks off ATI products until you go to an
    SLI solution (which requires buying *two* video cards) and even then the
    ATI X850 XT PE holds its own. Head to head the ATI X850 XT PE clearly
    outperforms the Nvidia 6800 Ultra. You may want to read up on the
    current state of the video card wars at:

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index.html

    3. The OP is looking at a $400 price range for a display (Samsung 915N)
    and you are suggesting that he purchase an $1800 23" Sony????

    FML, Jun 17, 2005
  5. rfdjr1

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, FML mused:

    | 1. No such thing as Nvidia 9800GT Ultra or a 9600GT (models are 6800
    | and 6600 respectively). If you're gonna recommend stuff, get your
    | facts straight otherwise you are just going to confuse people.

    He's mixing ATi numbers with nVidia letters. ;-)

    mhicaoidh, Jun 17, 2005