    AMD Athlon 64 Processor
    3800+
    2.3 GHz, 960 MB RAM

    Robin, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Robin

    doS Guest

    more ram, better graphics card

    doS, Aug 5, 2006

  3. You don't say what kind of video card is in the machine, so I'll assume
    it's a built-in. And therein likely lies your problem. Not only is the
    video card inferior, but it is likely using some of your system memory.
    Replacing it is the solution.

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 5, 2006
  4. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Gotcha. Thank you very much.

    Robin, Aug 5, 2006
  5. Robin

    Robin Guest

    K thank you very much.

    Robin, Aug 5, 2006
  6. Robin

    thanatoid Guest

    NF with the game you are mentioning, but few games need more
    memory than you have. The problem as other replies indicate is
    your built-in graphics chip which is a) not able to handle
    gaming requirements b) using some/lots of your system memory.

    If you get a graphics card with 256 MB or more of RAM right on
    it, that will probably fix all your problems. Check you game's
    "system requirements". If money is not an issue, you can get a
    card with up to 1 GB of memory I think. Then all your system
    memory is left alone.

    If money is an issue, you probably could run SOME games on what
    you have, but you'd need to change the settings for the games so
    that things like steam from volcanoes etc. is eliminated. Most
    of that stuff is just eye candy. Some games allow for such
    customization, other may not. Lower resolution will also make a
    big difference, if you can live with it.

    I have a 3-year old machine with only 256 RAM (I run 98se lite
    on it so it's more than enough) and I asked here a while ago
    whether I would be able to run a 3 year old game and everyone
    told me I >HAVE< to get a $300 graphics card. Well, it runs just
    fine on my built-in graphics chip (like yours), just not as well
    as it would with a $300 graphics card. And for some people $300
    is a considerable amount.

    thanatoid, Aug 6, 2006
  7. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Ok I just found out where to find what card I have.
    It's an ATI Raedon XPress 200 Series.
    Is that a decent card?
    Thanks

    Robin, Aug 6, 2006
  8. Robin

    Margolotta Guest

    That should be *a* graphics card - he doesn't have one. Look at the RAM -
    960MB. That makes it obvious to me that he has an on-board chip utilising
    64MB of the available 1GB memory.

    Margolotta, Aug 6, 2006
  9. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "she"...thanks. :)

    Robin, Aug 6, 2006
  10. For the archive:
    Yet again Sarah the margolotta jumps in with her opinion and
    gets it wrong.

    That makes it obvious to you does it Sarah?
    Though it has *a* ATI Radeon PCI-X card.........
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E1PIZC/103-8396502-5215040?v=glance&n=541966
    But all is obvious to you is it Sarah the margolotta?

    Beggers Belief, Aug 6, 2006
  11. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Ok, I was told I need to get a PCI Express card that is compatable with a
    300w power supply. Does anyone know a good, inexpensive place to get one?
    And which one would be the best bang for the buck, so to speak?
    Thank you all (except Sarah) for your help.
    Robin

    Robin, Aug 6, 2006
  12. Robin

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Beggers Belief.

    Well the X200 is on-board from the quick search I made. If you're going
    to criticise do so, but at least don't make yourself look like a fool in
    the process.

    Quote from your link:

    "ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM,
    10/100 Ethernet, 56K modem"

    So the meaning of "shared video RAM" is obviously lost on you.

    Thinking about it, I wonder if Amazon could be reported to the US
    equivalent of Trading Standards describing an on-board chipset as a
    graphics card ;)

    Ponder, Aug 6, 2006
  13. Robin

    Dan Evans Guest

    On board video card - swap it for a decent one.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Aug 6, 2006
  14. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Yes, I got that. Thank you :)

    Robin, Aug 6, 2006
  15. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Do you think this one would work:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102630
    Thanks

    Robin, Aug 6, 2006
  16. Robin

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Robin.

    Looks ok to me. Not sure about the power requirements though, 300W is a
    pitifully small PSU for today's systems.

    Ponder, Aug 6, 2006
  17. Robin

    Alan Guest

    From your previous post, you state that the computer has a 300W power
    supply and according to the link you provided, it says "Power supply of
    350 (and up) watt is highly recommended for system stability " So it
    MAY work, but you may want to scale back some - or get a bigger power
    supply. Its up to you asto how much you want to spend on your computer
    to play one game... The downside of retail computers is they provide
    "just enough" for the processor and everything else to keep the prices
    as low as theya are - and offer little room for expansion.

    Alan, Aug 6, 2006
  18. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Yea I know. I only had 900.00 to spend :(

    Robin, Aug 6, 2006
  19. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Thanks for telling me that. Guess I should have read further.
    I am finding this out the more I learn about my system. I thought I had a
    decent system. I mean, I can play Sims 2 no problem. But a very old pinball
    game stressed it. Very weird.

    Robin, Aug 6, 2006
  20. Robin

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Robin.

    Mark a replacement for a future purchase, especially if you plan to add
    another HD or CD/DVD drive. If a CPU overloads it has a tendency to take
    the motherboard with it.

    Ponder, Aug 6, 2006