Flat panel monitor choices

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rfdjr1, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    Okay, here's the deal after all my questions. Here are the monitors I have a
    shot at buying. They're all in my price range. I know there are a lot of others
    out there, but the thing is, I'm buying it from a source where I was able to set
    up an account, so as not to have to use a credit card. And these are the flat
    panel monitors they have available. I realize I could go to CompUSA, Best Buy,
    or order online, but here's what I'm limited to. Anyone care to look at the list
    and give me their thoughts? Thanks much.

    NEC/MITSUBISHI - AccuSync LCD92V 19-inch LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 450:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin D-Sub

    NEC/MITSUBISHI - AccuSync LCD92V 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 450:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin D-Sub

    NEC/MITSUBISHI - MultiSync LCD1970V-BK 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 450:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin D-sub
    Connector

    NEC/MITSUBISHI - MultiSync LCD1970NX-BK 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 500:1 Contrast Ratio, 230 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin D-sub
    / DVI-D Connectors

    ViewSonic - VP191b 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    19-inch, LCD, TFT, Black, 1280x1024 Pixels, Anti-glare, 15-pin Mini D-sub and
    Digital DVI-D Input Connectors

    ViewSonic - VG900b 19-inch LCD Monitor
    19-inch, LCD, TFT, Black, 1280x1024 Pixels, Anti-Glare, Built-in Speakers,
    15-Pin Mini D-Sub Connector

    ViewSonic - VP912b 19-inch LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 450:1 Contrast Ratio, 400 cd/m² Brightness, 2 15-pin
    Mini D-Sub / DVI-D, Built-in Power Supply

    PLANAR - PX191 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    19-inch, LCD, TFT, Black, 1280x1024 Pixels, 0.294 mm Pixel Pitch, Anti-glare
    Coating, 16.7 mn Colors, 24-Pin DVI-D / 15-Pin D-Sub Connectors

    PLANAR - PX191 19-inch Silver LCD Monitor
    19", LCD, TFT, Silver, 1280x1024 Pixels, 0.294 mm Pixel Pitch, Anti-glare
    Coating, 16.7 mn Colors, 24-Pin DVI-D /15-Pin D-Sub Connectors

    PLANAR - PE1900 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 500:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin D-sub
    Connector

    SONY CORPORATION - StylePro Series SDM-S93/B 19-inch Flat Panel LCD Display
    1280x1024 Pixels, 0.294 mm Pixel Pitch, Anti-Glare / Hard Coating, HD15 Input
    Connector

    SONY CORPORATION - StylePro Series SDM-S94/B 19-inch Black Flat Panel LCD
    Display
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 600:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m² Brightness, Black

    SONY CORPORATION - StylePro Series SDM-S94/S 19-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 600:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m² Brightness, Two-Tone
    Gray

    SONY CORPORATION - StylePro Series SDM-S93 19-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 600:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m², 15-pin HD Analog
    Connector, Anti-glare

    BENQ - FP931 19-inch Silver-Black LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 450:1 Contrast Ratio, 250 cd/m² Brightness, D-Sub/DVI-D
    Connectors, Built-in Power Supply

    SAMSUNG INFO SYSTEMS AMERICA - SyncMaster 910T-Silver 19-inch LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 1000:1 Contrast Ratio, 260 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin
    D-sub / DVI-D Connectors

    Samsung - SyncMaster 915N-Black 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 700:1 Contrast Ratio, 300 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin D-sub
    Connector

    Samsung - SyncMaster 912T-Black 19-inch Black LCD Monitor
    Up to 1280x1024 Pixels, 250 cd/m² Brightness, 15-pin D-sub / DVI-D Connectors,
    Black

    rfdjr1, Jun 17, 2005

  2. rfdjr1

    samuel Guest

    wrote in

    check warranty look at them !

    samuel, Jun 17, 2005

  3. rfdjr1

    aleX Guest

    I was in the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago, buying a monitor for
    someone else. I suggested the Viewsonic VP191B which is on your list, as
    it gets good reviews and was at a good price. Ultimately I went for the
    Sony SDM-HS95P:

    http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/5848/1/

    I've still to set up the monitor. It gets mainly good reviews, the
    reason I went for it is the buyer wanted it bought locally, and
    returnable locally if anything goes wrong. I wasn't able to do this with
    the Viewsonic.

    This is a good site for monitor reviews also, if you are still looking:

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/articles.aspx?sec=6

    aleX, Jun 17, 2005
  4. rfdjr1

    Ron Martell Guest

    Look at the response time for the various monitors, especially if you
    are going to be playing games or watching videos. Try for at 12 ms
    response or faster.

    If all other factors are equal then go for a model with both DVI and
    D-Sub connectors, even if your present video card does not provide DVI
    output. It is a superior video option.

    1280 x 1024 video resolution is okay for a 17 inch LCD and with the 19
    inch you are getting just a big larger size with no improvement in
    resolution. May you might consider going up to a 20 inch and getting
    1600 x 1200 resolution.

    Here is another option you might want to consider. Have you ever
    worked with a system with dual monitors? If you check around you
    might just find that two 17 inch LCDs could be purchased for about the
    same price as a single 19 inch. And video cards with dual outputs
    are available even in the low and mid price range.

    Good luck
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Jun 17, 2005
  5. rfdjr1

    unwashed Guest

    I have only glanced at your list of monitors, just some thoughts for you
    to consider.
    Connections for displays and future formats, and the possible future
    convergence of media playback - PC-streaming/TV/DVD/Games etc
    Remember to consider High-Defination broadcasting, this requires
    a display to be able to resolve 720 lines of resolution -
    DVD 4.3 ("usual"/typical PC monitor) being 750 x 576
    DVD 16.9 (widescreen) HDTV requires 1280 x720
    In Japan they have on market "ultra" HDTV displays - 1920 x 1080.
    This all requires the correct hardware, In your instance a graphics
    adapter etc, and of course Hi-Def material to view! (Very little available
    at present).
    All academic if you intend at future date to purchase a dedicated
    large screen display such as plasma or rear projector etc.
    But it will all eventually converge and the PC does dominate in
    plans.
    Two types of digital connections being HDMI and DVI in this context
    being the preferred digital connection for HDCP (copy protection) for
    Hi-Def displays. So will probably be the only viable future Hi-Def
    display connection.
    Notable from your list is that the Sony's do not include this futureproof
    type of all digital connection? So don't consider them. Nor consider
    any models that are not equipped with such.
    Your list details a couple of Viewsonics and Samsung models that
    are equipped with the desired all-digital futureproof connections.
    But as we all know - more brands/models will launch and prices
    will drop etc. Thats marketing!

    unwashed, Jun 17, 2005
  6. rfdjr1

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, mused:

    | Okay, here's the deal after all my questions. Here are the monitors I
    | have a shot at buying. They're all in my price range. I know there
    | are a lot of others out there, but the thing is, I'm buying it from a
    | source where I was able to set up an account, so as not to have to
    | use a credit card. And these are the flat panel monitors they have
    | available. I realize I could go to CompUSA, Best Buy, or order
    | online, but here's what I'm limited to. Anyone care to look at the
    | list and give me their thoughts? Thanks much.

    Not on your list, but should be ... I highly recommend the Hyundai
    L90D+ ... sleek, rotatable, 8 ms response time, excellent image quality.

    mhicaoidh, Jun 17, 2005
  7. rfdjr1

    Grace Guest

    I'm a BenQ fan